PDA

View Full Version : The Odd Couple

Linda Dulak
12-12-2011, 06:44 PM
This is an image of a pair of gentoo penguins from Paradise Bay in Antarctica. We landed at the Chilean research base here because our usual landing site was blocked by ice. We were fortunate to find a couple of isabelline gentoos at this site. The isabelline (or leukistic) penguins have a diluted color and end up being a fawn color rather than black. They are not albinos as they have color and have dark eyes, just diluted in color. They are rare, but there were 2 in the colony at this site. There is always a question of whether these birds will pair and breed. According to John Chardine, who was on the same cruise, there was a pair, isabelline paired with a black penguine, at another site which had raised young for 18 years so far. So, it seems that penguins aren't choosy about mating with an isabelline bird and this seems like a pair getting ready to breed.

Nikon D7000, 28-300 @300, f7.1, 1/2500, +0.67, ISO 640, Matrix metering, PS5: levels, S/H, saturation, removal of tail of other penguin behind the pair, sharpening and cropping.

Joe Senzatimore
12-12-2011, 07:28 PM
Looks like it belongs in Nat. Geo. :5One sweet image and interesting background info as well. Might crop a bit tighter if mine , but just my own taste.

Randy Stout
12-13-2011, 10:17 AM
Linda:

This is a great story, and a cute picture. I think the leukistic bird is quite attractive in a subtle way, and def. different looking.

I would agree with Joe about a little tighter crop, esp. above.

I like the pose by the bird on the right.

Cheers

Randy

Bill Dix
12-13-2011, 10:56 AM
Interesting birds, well captured. Thanks for sharing the image and the explanation. What an experience it must have been, to be there, and to capture this rare variant. I could see a bit off the top, and maybe a slivver off the right.

Nancy Bell
12-13-2011, 07:02 PM
Very interesting image and story. Having both side by side is perfect, showing the contrast. Also a great capture of the 2 in complimentary postures. I agree with the cropping suggestions.

Linda Dulak
12-14-2011, 07:54 AM
Thanks everyone. It was an amazing trip and a very interesting find. Isolating this pair took a bit of luck with other birds moving around a lot. The consensus is to crop a bit tighter and I'll give that a try.

Linda

Robert Holguin
12-14-2011, 05:19 PM
Wonderful image. Great looking pair and I really like the poses on both penguins.
Well done.