PDA

View Full Version : Daffodil (in the Wild with Natural Light)

Ed Vatza
04-06-2008, 08:08 PM
Don't know how they got there but these daffodils were growing in a wetlands area just off of our local creek here in Eastern Pennsylvania.

Rebel XT with Sigma 70mm macro lens; natural light.

1/60 sec at f/16; ISO 100; EV 0

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s1/EdV_02/0804__157.jpg

Robert O'Toole
04-06-2008, 10:20 PM
I like the image in general, good exposure job and DOF placement, it wasnt an easy job. Sometimes in difficult situations like this you can bracket exposure and bracket focus to gain more DR and DOF when you use a tripod of course.

Robert

Mike Moats
04-08-2008, 05:43 AM
Hey Ed, I have found Daffodils growing in wild area's of the parks I shoot in also, and have wondered the same, if they came up by themselves or did someone plant them. I like the details,color and light, but for my taste the comp is to centered.

Ed Vatza
04-08-2008, 06:08 AM
Robert, Mike,

Thanks for the feedback/critique. I must say that after working on cut flowers on the dining room table for a while, it certainly felt good to out in the mud and crawl around! :)

I understand where you are coming from on the centeredness of image, Mike. I often try to move the image off-center but for some reason, I liked this one smack dab in the center. I felt like petals radiating out the way they do kinda take you from the edges back into the center. I don't know. It was just where I was at that point, I guess.

On the other hand, I also like this image below with the flower moved well off center. Now this was made at f/4 so not the same depth of field as the original but again I like the image.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s1/EdV_02/0804__160.jpg

Mike Moats
04-08-2008, 06:38 AM
Hey Ed, this one works really well. The BG really compliments the flower and I think the position works much better. Well done.

Ed Vatza
04-08-2008, 01:24 PM
Hey Ed, this one works really well. The BG really compliments the flower and I think the position works much better. Well done.

Thanks, Mike! :)