PDA

View Full Version : Drip Dry

Cheryl Arena Molennor
12-12-2011, 07:12 AM
Going thru some old macro files to post here .After After a good Fl rain I went out to see what I could find. This was the new growth of a Palm tree with raindrops on it.

Canon 40 d Sigma 150 mm 2.8 lens
f6.3 at 1/60 400 ISO

Dennis Bishop
12-12-2011, 08:37 AM
The greens and pink go very well together. I like the softness in the background. The out-of-focus drops complement the foreground extremely well. The curves are very pleasing, too. Nice job seeing and capturing this.

Here's a suggestion for cropping differently -- some off the top and the right -- based on divine proportions.

Brendan Dozier
12-12-2011, 01:56 PM
Well seen and composed, Cheryl. Those crystal clear reflections and colors in the water beads are outstanding! Like the soft light, diagonal lines, grouping of 3 main curls. I see what Dennis is saying regarding crop, and could also see a more narrow vertical pano with a bit more off left as another option, but really nicely done as is.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
12-12-2011, 02:20 PM
The greens and pink go very well together. I like the softness in the background. The out-of-focus drops complement the foreground extremely well. The curves are very pleasing, too. Nice job seeing and capturing this.

Here's a suggestion for cropping differently -- some off the top and the right -- based on divine proportions.

Thanks Dennis I like that alot ,balances nicely
Thanks Brendan

Dave Leroy
12-12-2011, 05:34 PM
Divine proportions works really well and so do all the repetitions. Nicely seem and photographed.

Julie Kenward
12-12-2011, 07:44 PM
Very nice image, Cheryl! I have two other suggestions on top of Dennis' crop.

You have one very OOF drop at the top of one of the curls almost at the frame's edge - I'd try to either crop that out or clone over it.

You also have a nice sized "glob" of them at the left frame's edge - I'd also try to eliminate or tone that one down.

I find that any time there's something that close to the frame's edge that's OOF it tends to draw the eye away from the focal point. If you can crop or eliminate them the viewer will be more apt to keep his eyes on those wonderful in focus drops!

Mike Landwehr
12-12-2011, 08:10 PM
This is a fascinating image, Cheryl. There is a lot to look at--I give it high marks for interest. You have a good eye to even spot this kind of image. I do think the crop that Dennis suggested is good, and that Julie makes a good point about the OOF globs. However, I doubt, in this case, that the benefit to be gained is worth the effort it would take to remove them. Looks pretty difficult to do well! I really like the pink and green combination, and the vertical stripes (leaves) reflecting in the droplets. You image piques my interest in finding some rain drops, but don't suppose we'll see any of those for the next few months here in Iowa!

Cheryl Arena Molennor
12-13-2011, 10:36 AM
Very nice image, Cheryl! I have two other suggestions on top of Dennis' crop.

You have one very OOF drop at the top of one of the curls almost at the frame's edge - I'd try to either crop that out or clone over it.

You also have a nice sized "glob" of them at the left frame's edge - I'd also try to eliminate or tone that one down.

I find that any time there's something that close to the frame's edge that's OOF it tends to draw the eye away from the focal point. If you can crop or eliminate them the viewer will be more apt to keep his eyes on those wonderful in focus drops!

Hi Julie and thank you for the suggestions. This image is quite old and processed before I dare thought of manipulating my images but life changes and i am going with it. So... I re processed and here is what I did. WDYT? Is the crop too tight?

Julie Kenward
12-13-2011, 10:52 AM
I think that totally works...but then I am a big fan of close crops!

Cheryl Arena Molennor
12-13-2011, 10:53 AM
I think that totally works...but then I am a big fan of close crops!

Cool, me too:S3:

Dennis Bishop
12-13-2011, 11:18 AM
... I re processed and here is what I did. WDYT? Is the crop too tight?

I don't think it's too tight, at all. This looks good.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
12-13-2011, 11:23 AM
I don't think it's too tight, at all. This looks good.
Thank you Dennis

Steve Maxson
12-14-2011, 05:33 PM
Hi Cheryl. I love the curl of the leaves, the sharp beads of water, and the reflections within. The tighter crop also works very well. Removing the white blob on the left edge, as suggested by Jules, is an improvement - though I think you could clean up the whitish edges a bit more around where the blob used to be. For me, all the OOF water drops in the image are distracting and give the image a rather busy look. The others don't seem to mind them so it may be just a matter of taste. :S3: