PDA

View Full Version : Dawn Breaker

Brendan Dozier
12-11-2011, 07:54 PM
Two minutes before sunrise in Carlsbad CA, just after watching the lunar eclipse. Not sure if moon played any role in the reflected color, because by this time it had been pretty much obscured by a low marine cloud layer as it was nearing horizon. Not the greatest composition, but liked the soft dawn light, color and blur to wave. Wish I had just a bit more image on rt. Cropped out second wave from bottom, CS5, tweaked color balance a tad, some dodging and burning on breaker. Eclipse shots did not turn out so hot as I found it difficult to get decent focus.

7D, EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +2.0x, tripod
ISO 200

Roman Kurywczak
12-12-2011, 11:37 AM
Hey Brendan,
I really like the comp and don't mind the cut wave on the RH side. The colors are what are very appealing here too and you could go in many directions with bolder or more subdued.....personal taste there and while I generaly prefer bolder.....I like this as presented and it has a very soothing look!

Brendan Dozier
12-12-2011, 12:29 PM
Thanks, Roman, funny you should say that, because here's my first version, which is a little bolder, slightly different crop and some additional touch up on wave. I tend to go for a little more pop in my images, but decided to do the more subdued one for a change, and to show what I remember to be as close to the actual light and color levels.

Robert Amoruso
12-12-2011, 08:23 PM
Brendan,

Either one works well. Good eye to see the possibility here and work the composition.

As you did not have the breaking RH wave more in the image, i would suggest cropping to just left of that break.

Joe Senzatimore
12-14-2011, 09:12 AM
Perfect SS for the water. Beautiful pastel color and mood created.

Morkel Erasmus
12-17-2011, 04:26 PM
Dreamy look and feel here Brendan...I like either version and agree with Robert's crop suggestion...:tinysmile_shy_t: