PDA

View Full Version : Soon His Day Would Come (juvie Wood Duck)

Melissa Groo
12-11-2011, 05:37 PM
Canon 1D4
500m
Gitzo 3530LS/Wimberley

ISO 400
1/2000 sec
f/5

This little wood duck stole my heart. He's just on the cusp of gorgeousness (or maybe I'm wrong and he's just a molting adult which would be another thing entirely:e3) But I think he's a juvie just coming into his own. Again, this was taken during the wood duck workshop with Studebaker in Oct in Ohio. Hope folks aren't getting bored of these, promise to take a break from the woodies after this one!

Cropped about 40% in LR3. Sharpening and whites recovery in CS5. I know the crop is a little unusual but I wanted to do something different with this one to set him apart.

Thanks so much for any C and C.

Nancy Bell
12-11-2011, 07:09 PM
I never tire of Woodies! And I like this crop with the greater space on the bottom. It includes the subtle reflection of this boy, plus it follows his more downward look. The water is absolutely gorgeous.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
12-11-2011, 10:10 PM
I have really been enjoying your posts lately Melissa. This one is nice too. Great dof and detail on the duck and really nice colors. I personally would like just a little off bottom

Stu Bowie
12-12-2011, 12:43 AM
Hi Melissa, Great IQ in this, light, colours and sharpness all come together here. Judging by the size, this could be a juvie, and he pops so well from the water BG. I agree to take a bit off the bottom.

gail bisson
12-12-2011, 11:26 AM
I really like how you are experimenting and growing as a photographer ie. trying new comps etc. I can understand why this little guy stole your heart. At first I didn't like the comp but I have returned to this image several times and I do like it. I love the colors of the water and the comp is definitely growing on me. I also like the little wake behind the bird. My only nit is that critical focus is on the back and not the face. A keeper for sure,
Gail

Sachin Saraf
12-12-2011, 12:56 PM
I really loved and enjoyed super low angle and BG on your duck photos so far...this one is no exception..TFS

Jim Crosswell
12-12-2011, 05:44 PM
Another beauty Melissa! I like the water colour, IQ and eye contact.

Melissa Groo
12-13-2011, 07:24 AM
Thanks for all the feedback!