PDA

View Full Version : Old Mill

Craig Kerr
12-11-2011, 11:27 AM
Just loved this old mill complex in old Montreal along the canals.
Canon 50D - Sigma 10-20 @10 - F11.0 - SS1/80 - Iso 400 - Over cast conditions, hand held

Brendan Dozier
12-11-2011, 08:06 PM
Interesting perspective, Craig, and nice documentation of this old dinosaur of a building and past industrial era. Some good lines and patterns that add to perspective, like the drab colors, rust, broken windows and general decay. Not sure if water and reflection add anything to image. Maybe in a bit wider shot the reflection of the entire structure would work better.

Roman Kurywczak
12-12-2011, 11:35 AM
Hey Craig,
I love old buidings too! I think you have very nice lines here but for me the sky draws too much attention as presented. Doesn't it stink that we can't get there with great skies!

Craig Kerr
12-12-2011, 01:08 PM
Brendan and Roman thanks for your comments - much appreciated
Am completely out of my comfort zone, usually do wildlife and avian.
Roman life just sucks some time :-) Weather is a *****, never listens.
I may just beg your indulgence on a few more of my Montreal business trip photos, **** photography is such fun !!!

Robert Amoruso
12-12-2011, 08:30 PM
Craig,

I would have to agree with Roman on the sky - so that makes this an excellent subject of a study of the details of the building thus eliminating the sky.

Another option is some alternative processing - my repost using Tonal Contrast from Nik Color Effects Pro 3

Don Railton
12-12-2011, 11:16 PM
Hello Craig & Robert...

Interesting repost Robert. I am now drawn to the building and its detail with the sky now doing much less damage to the images impact. It's also a good example showing the power of Nik Color effect software...

DON

Craig Kerr
12-13-2011, 01:35 AM
Wow Robert... the repost is a huge improvement, thanks for taking the time to show me this !! :S3:
Will have to find out more about this program (Nik Color effect)
Don thanks for your comments.

Joe Senzatimore
12-14-2011, 09:16 AM
This seems like a great candidate for HDR under the right conditions. The re-post does draw attention away from the sky and onto the building where it belongs.

Robert Amoruso
12-15-2011, 06:52 AM
Making the building POP was my goal - glad to hear it worked.:S3: