PDA

View Full Version : walk on beach

allanrube
12-11-2011, 11:18 AM
I took this yesterday afternoon about 25 minutes after sunset. I took two shots and used Photomatix to merge them using fusion. I used uniwb when I shot them and PM left them green no matter what I did to the wb, so I converted the raw files to tiff in ACR and imported the tiffs into PM.

D3X with 70-200 vr2 at 70 mm. 1/13 and 1/33 at f/4. ISO 100.
In ACR I changed the wb to 6850 and moved the tint to -18.

I am not sure what I think of the colors. I maybe drab. If you think you can improve them place do so and re-post, telling me what you did.

Brendan Dozier
12-11-2011, 10:07 PM
Beautiful sky and nicely captured and composed shot, Alan. Like the light reflected in the wet sand, and the solitary walker helps set the mood. Agree colors look a bit washed out. Not knowing exact coloring of scene, just went for giving it a little more bang. First adjusted color balance boosting the red, magenta, and blue a little bit for whole image. Darkened mids and darks slightly in levels because I felt it gave more impact to the light in the sky and reflected light in the water. Some selective saturation on water and wet sand. Then selected sky and used curves, levels, and some burning & dodging to give it more contrast, detail and drama. This also helped to bring out the reddish light glow more in the clouds on the left side near water. Some more color balance adjustments on sky only, warming it up some by boosting the red, magenta.

allanrube
12-12-2011, 09:42 AM
Thanks Brendan for your re-post. It will help me when I revisit this image.

Roman Kurywczak
12-12-2011, 11:32 AM
Hey Alan,
I like the direction Brendan took it and my only sugggestions.....is for more of a pano crop with just about 1/2 inch of sand below the tide line on the LHS. Browser crop will show that the pano further emphasizes the line and really brings the person into focus. Nicely done!

Robert Amoruso
12-12-2011, 08:33 PM
Allan

Add Brendan's and Roman's suggestions and you have a winner.

I like the comp and how the curve of the shoreline brings you into the image.