PDA

View Full Version : What to charge and how?

Jeff Sorbie
12-10-2011, 09:04 PM
Hello,

I enjoy taking photos but have never had one used in any way. Recently I was asked by the Canadian Wildlife Federation, a non-profit, if they could use one of my photo's in an online story they were going to write. I said they could but it got me thinking about how and what to charge if an organization wanted to use another photo in the future?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

Nancy Bell
12-13-2011, 06:26 PM
I donate my photos to non-profit organizations.

Jeff Sorbie
12-13-2011, 07:17 PM
Thanks Nancy. I did also but it got me thinking about what to charge and how to ask for money if the organization was not a non profit?

Chris Ober
12-14-2011, 01:38 PM
Non-profit doesn't mean they don't have a budget for such things and can't pay. Chances are they're already paying for printing, paper, hosting, and other supplies. They should be charged for the images as well.
Treat them just like any other business asking.

John Goldman
12-14-2011, 09:14 PM
Many "non-profits" exist on donations alone and Chris is correct that they have budgets. My suggestion is to donate your images to the organization if you feel the need and believe they have the need. Otherwise charge as you would any one else and don't feel guilty.

Jeff Sorbie
12-15-2011, 10:27 AM
Thanks all.

Tony Hansford
12-15-2011, 11:04 AM
If they can pay a CEO and media officer then they can pay for photos. Most wildlife orgs have both. By not charging them you are ripping yourself off and making it harder for other photographers.