PDA

View Full Version : Snow Bunting pano

Dan Brown
04-06-2008, 06:08 PM
This is a two image photomerge. The shots were taken in north central Washington this past Jan. I used my Nikon D200, lens - 80-400mm VR, effective aperture - f5.7, ISO 800, shutter speed - 1/1600sec. exposure comp +2. Dan Brown, Sacramento

David Kennedy
04-06-2008, 09:15 PM
Dan,
I think the issue I have with this one is that there are no clearly defined "beginning" and "ending" points in the pano crop. Those defining areas, in an image such as this, would be empty spaces ahead of the leading bird and behind the trailing bird in the flight pattern. This is all a fancy way of saying it's too tight ;)

Also, I feel that the highlights in the bottom third are a bit distracting, but could be toned down in Selective Color (add black to the "white" colors).

Robert Amoruso
04-07-2008, 07:34 AM
Hi Dan,

Your going to become our bird Pano king! :)

I have been thinking about David's critique. As someone that has done the bird pano like this and like them, what I usually strive for is not too clip birds on the ends even if I have to clone some later. I agree that David's suggestion would produce a great looking image but I am not sure I would feel it is better than this one.

I would probably have to have both versions to look at to make up my mind. In the meantime, I have something to think about regarding which is better. One thing I have been doing more in the field with many images I think I might need to add room into is to make what I call a "stitching image" for later. In this case, after the birds passed, I would take one of the grass only. Preferably of the area before and after the birds. I did this with Grizzly Bears in Alaska and liked the results.

David's comment on the Selective Color fix is right on, I do that one myself all the time.

Keep them coming.

Dan Brown
04-07-2008, 08:04 AM
Thanks for the great critiques. Doing these panos, you are right on Robert, you really have to be thinking of the final product as you are shooting. These images were shot before I discovered "photomerge". I will have to check back in my files and see if I was lucky enough to have some shots that will work for front and back spacing. I will also try adding the black with selective color. Thanks again, Dan

Robert Amoruso
04-07-2008, 10:15 AM
Thanks for the great critiques. Doing these panos, you are right on Robert, you really have to be thinking of the final product as you are shooting. These images were shot before I discovered "photomerge". I will have to check back in my files and see if I was lucky enough to have some shots that will work for front and back spacing. I will also try adding the black with selective color. Thanks again, Dan

Hi Dan,

When I came back to see you comment I saw a spelling error in my post. It should say "stitching image" and not sticking.

Dan Brown
04-08-2008, 06:31 PM
Here is a redo of the pano. I followed David's advise and tried to add room at the beginning and end of the flock. And, I added 100% black and 35% nuetral with a selective color layer. I like it, what do you all think? Dan Brown

David Kennedy
04-10-2008, 11:05 PM
Dan,
Great improvement, although I might almost suggest you went a little too far--you might try masking the birds so that the brilliant white of the wings still shines through, but I really like how you toned down the background.