PDA

View Full Version : Engaging with the Far East to help save the rhinos

Hilary Hann
12-10-2011, 05:30 PM
I know most of the wildlife photographers, especially those of us who travel or live in Africa, would be very concerned at the escalation in the slaughter of rhinos for their horns. A friend of mine has been intimately involved in engaging with the movers and shakers in Chinese society and business to try to get some 'on the ground' help with this issue. I travelled to Rome just over a month ago for an unrelated African conservation project but had time to learn more about what was happening with the rhino initiative. This is quite a significant step forward and although there will be some who will be sceptical, without the Chinese business leaders becoming involved in the anti poaching campaign, the people of China will never have a chance to become engaged in fighting this.

It has been over 2 years now that I have been saying that the general public in China have no idea how rhino horn and elephant's ivory is 'harvested'. Recent undercover investigative journalists have confirmed the lack of knowledge which is mind numbing given the Western efforts to make it known. But very little effort has been made to find 'partners' in China who have the local knowledge, experience and are, indeed locals themselves, to help in this effort. The Western approach will have little chance of success in Eastern cultures … we go about it the wrong way. So well done The Nature Conservancy, the road is long and bumpy but this is a significant start and it is great that at last it is in the public eye and can be talked about. Vietnam and its strong desire for rhino horn will/should be next but little steps.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/wildlife/8935724/Deadly-trade-rhino-horn-poaching-surges.html
(http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/wildlife/8935724/Deadly-trade-rhino-horn-poaching-surges.html)
Also of great interest is a paper written by photographer and investigative journalist Karl Ammann on his undercover work in Vietnam. It has been published in SWARA, the East African Wildlife Society's magazine but is yet to appear on his website as being publicly available. This was a real eye opener on many of our popularly held views and would be available to read on EAWLS's site by paid subscription I think. I haven't checked whether it is available yet as I have the printed copy.

Much food for thought.

Roger Clark
12-10-2011, 05:48 PM
I saw a report on CNN this week about thefts of rhino horns from museums! They said the going price is now $99,000 per pound! A web search showed other prices in the last few months of $45,000 / pound. Simply astounding! With prices like that it seems there is little hope against poaching. Google: rhino horn museum theft

Roger

Hilary Hann
12-10-2011, 06:12 PM
Roger, the thefts have been going on for some time, quite extraordinary!

There are many different points of view as to how to address this; some advocate rhino horn farming; some insist that a shoot to kill policy is needed; some are just encouraging a general 'hate' campaign. Like most complex problems which cross cultural boundaries, any solutions will also be complex and many layered. Giving up doesn't come into it! :S3:

PS, I don't personally support any of the three options I've noted above.