PDA

View Full Version : Speckled Tanager

Jim Crosswell
12-10-2011, 10:59 AM
This was taken in Costa Rica. It was a set-up near a feeding station. All C&Cs are welcome and appreciated.

Canon 40D
500L f4
1.4 Extender
ISO 400
f/6.3
1/100s
Tripod

Richard Stern
12-10-2011, 11:03 AM
Hi,

Fantastic image - very sharp for a small bird that was probably on the move much of the time. Great separation from the background. Perhaps bit more catchlight might make it even better.

Richard

Doug Brown
12-10-2011, 11:11 AM
<embed id="application/x-exifeverywhere" type="application/x-exifeverywhere" width="0" height="0">Really cool frame Jim! Great bird too. You might try lightening the black feather patches in front of the eyes to help bring the eyes out a little more.<embed id="application/x-exifeverywhere" type="application/x-exifeverywhere" width="0" height="0">

Marina Scarr
12-10-2011, 11:29 AM
This is just an amazing looking bird. You did well with the set up. THe perch and BG are nice and match the bird well. Exposure looks good and I see catchlight in the eyes but this bird's face is like a puzzle. Do you have any taken from a different angle?

Mital Patel
12-10-2011, 11:34 AM
beautiful bird for sure and you nailed the exposure. pose is funny.
However i wish the tail part could be in other pose as it merges and misguide.

Jim Crosswell
12-10-2011, 11:46 AM
Thanks Richard, Doug, Marina and Mital for the comments and suggestions. Marina I posted another image on the 6th of this month with a back view and over the shoulder look.

gail bisson
12-10-2011, 12:05 PM
I really like the perch and direct gaze.Love the little feather that is sticking up on right side on top of head! I wish the OOF tail wasn't so visible under the belly as I find it distracts a bit. Another vote for lightening the eye,
Gail

Stu Bowie
12-10-2011, 01:17 PM
Hi Jim, good headon capture, and the greens and yellows on the top of his head are very striking and stand out nicely. Lovely detail on the chest area, well exposed, sharp, and good idea from Doug to lighten the blacks areas to bring out the eyes.

Dan Behm
12-11-2011, 04:12 PM
Jim,
a Fun pose and cool looking bird, excellent exposure and framing. The Colors look great, a very striking bird.

Dan