PDA

View Full Version : Purple Finch

Dan Behm
12-09-2011, 11:29 PM
Here is one from Last winter Taken wile shooting with Matthew Studebaker, He was kind enough to invite me along for the opportunity to photograph these Purple Finches.

The BG was less than desirable so a piece of plywood was used to create a better backdrop and the perch theme carried into the BG at varied distances. the perch itself was placed near a feeder where the birds were feeding. they used the perch as a staging area before hoping onto the feeder.

Comments and critiques welcome!

1D4| 600 F/4|Iso200| F/6.3| 1/2000th| Manual Mode| Adams County, Ohio

Thanks for looking!!! Dan

Josh Clark
12-10-2011, 12:31 AM
Great calling pose here Dan! Great thinking about controlling the BG and making it work in your favor. The buds on the tree go well very nicely with the finch.

arash_hazeghi
12-10-2011, 01:35 AM
excellent pose, nice perch and a good BG. well done

Sachin Saraf
12-10-2011, 03:07 AM
Wow the BG on this one perfectly compliments the finch....also the pose, sharpness and DOF are very good, the buds really add to the overall image

Stu Bowie
12-10-2011, 06:53 AM
Hi Dan, great image design, and I like the perch running through the frame showing all the flowers. I really like the colours and detail on the finch, sharp, and the calling pose adds to the image. If this were mine, I would blend in the darker area of the BG above the head of the finch. Another pleasing image from you.

Gary Esman
12-10-2011, 08:02 AM
Hey Dan! beautiful shot here, fantastic background, perch and sweet calling pose. very well done:bg3:

Gary.

Dumay de Boulle
12-10-2011, 09:26 AM
Very nicely presented with great colors and sharpness and a really interesting perch!...Good thinking on the ISO as the light looks plenty sufficient!

Melissa Groo
12-10-2011, 10:22 AM
Lovely in every way, Dan. I am impressed each and every time by your images, by the thought behind them and the careful attention to carrying it out. If it were mine (oh how I wish), I might evict the twig by the right leg and also lighten that dark spot as Stuart points out.

Jim Crosswell
12-10-2011, 12:28 PM
A real beauty Dan! I like the perch, pose, details and sharpness. I agree with Stuarts suggestion to blend the dark spot and suggestion by Melissa to remove the twig.

Jonathan Ashton
12-11-2011, 07:15 AM
Lovely shot nice colour coordination. I like the open bill and the fine plumage detail. I envy the light you had, over here is is about ISO 1000 and 1/60 sec.

Dan Behm
12-11-2011, 04:35 PM
Thank you everyone for the comments, I like the suggestions to lighten the dark area within the BG and evict the branch intersecting the foot. thanks for the advice and comments...

Dan