PDA

View Full Version : Graffiti Underground

denise ippolito
12-09-2011, 07:28 PM
This is from the Graffiti Underground. I did have another exposure to bring down the bright sun lines in the image but for some reason I loved the contrast and decided that even though they were around the 244 mark I didn't even want to tone them down. Would you keep the first column on the left-if so why. Alternately would you keep the column on the right? If so why.:S3:

Almost forgot. A 3 image HDR processed with Nik HDR Pro.

Dennis Bishop
12-09-2011, 08:31 PM
. . . Would you keep the first column on the left-if so why. Alternately would you keep the column on the right? If so why. . .

Yes and yes. Both for the same reason. I like those bright sun lines, too, and those columns both contain them (keep them from being too close to the edges). I also like the column on the right because of where its bottom ends in the image. The dark region below it plays an important role in leading the eye back to where it entered.

Judy Howle
12-09-2011, 09:31 PM
Wow, this is a super image! The colors and contrasting tones really create a lot of interest. I love the composition as it is for the same reasons Dennis pointed out. The 2 columns work like a frame to contain the center elements.
Where is Graffiti Underground?

Jay Sheinfield
12-09-2011, 09:41 PM
No on the left, yes on the right. Explaining why is a different story.:S3: Honestly, it took me a bit to figure out what was going on.....I didn't "get" the step down of the columns until I did a browser crop of the left side. I think it is a bit distracting the left column going from top to bottom of the frame, there is not enough of it to the left (no sun line) to start the story. The right column set's up a mystery and interest of what 's behind the wall as my eye travels down the curve of columns. It's also a good stop, keeping my eye from going off the frame to the right. That's my take. I would have cropped the left.

denise ippolito
12-10-2011, 12:39 PM
It's always interesting to hear everyone's take on an image. I like the crop the way it is but I also think the image could be cropped on the left if you wanted. Thanks for the feedback.:S3:

Judy it is in Pennsylvania.

Indranil Sircar
12-11-2011, 12:36 AM
Outstanding composition, Denise. Love the framing and the tonal range. Great lighting. I do see Jay's point and can be an alternative... although personally I prefer both the columns.

John Ippolito
12-11-2011, 04:49 PM
Denise, I think the comp is excellent. The lines of the columns, shadows and highlights all keep the eye involved in the image. As for the column on the right - for me it strongly anchors the image at the base of that column, and the image for me is weaker without it. I prefer including the one on the left since the base is visible, but it works well - though not as well for me - without it. Great location and find. Excellent work on this.:S3:

denise ippolito
12-11-2011, 05:25 PM
Indranil and John, Thank you both very much for taking the time to comment.:S3: I appreciate it.

Andrew McLachlan
12-11-2011, 08:26 PM
Hi Denise,
I like the play of light and shadows and all the graffiti. I would leave the image as is without cropping anything...this works great!:S3: