PDA

View Full Version : Morning Reeds

Don Lacy
12-09-2011, 06:24 PM
A very simple silhouette of some morning reeds. For me the color is the main focus of the image and I was wondering if others find it strong enough to make the image successful.

Dennis Bishop
12-09-2011, 07:47 PM
I definitely think it works. Just to see if increasing the contrast would make it even better, I played with that, but no. It's successful in my eyes just the way it is.

Dave Leroy
12-10-2011, 10:58 AM
Water color is lovely and the silhouette of the reeds adds to the very nice simple presentation. My preference would have been a touch more room on bottom and composition here is pretty subjective.
Good eye.

Jerry van Dijk
12-10-2011, 12:48 PM
Hi Don, definately works for me. Color is great and the ripples at interest, as does the silhouette. I too wish for a little more room below and would apply CW rotation to level the ripples.

OvidiuCavasdan
12-10-2011, 02:35 PM
Color and water looks great, also the reeds silhouette, simple and effective. I think also a vertical "pano"would work. Well done!

Julie Kenward
12-10-2011, 05:05 PM
Don, at first glance I fell in love with this. After staring at it for awhile I do see some room for other possibilities...

I like the vertical orientation but wonder if you could take a bit off the right and add it to the left to get the reeds just a bit more off center.

I'm also wondering about the water in the reflection - it feels muddy and has a gray cast...anyway you can clean that up a bit?

I'd also clean the ragged edges/pieces from the reeds - make them really sharp from top to bottom - but I think that's a purely personal choice. I can also see why you left them in.

Ravi Hirekatur
12-10-2011, 06:18 PM
Don,
I too think it would look better in a vertical format. agree with others. Beautiful color. the reeds and their reflction look like a Japanese character in a zen calligraphy. Very calming.

Ravi Hirekatur
12-10-2011, 06:42 PM
Don,
I too think it would look better in a vertical format. agree with others. Beautiful color. the reeds and their reflction look like a Japanese character in a zen calligraphy. Very calming.

Brendan Dozier
12-12-2011, 01:23 PM
Love the simple elegance of this comp, Don, and nice rich color. Does have a zen-like feel to it. Can see some other crop options working as mentioned above, such as a more vertical pano, or moving reeds more off center, but overall really nicely done!

bhavya joshi
12-13-2011, 12:10 AM
Nice spot...Nice Simple image and.. I really like the Color of water with black Reflective Strips..good Image...

Ken Childs
12-13-2011, 12:02 PM
Hey Don, I think this looks fantastic as is! I love the serene feel to it and it gets me thinking of relaxing in a nice Japanese garden. The way the light falls with the lighter orange behind the reeds couldn't be better! I can see other crop options but I think the one you chose works very well. Nicely done! :S3:

Steve Maxson
12-13-2011, 08:05 PM
Hi Don. Like the others, I love the simple comp and the colors. The comp works for me, as presented, but some of the alternate crops suggested above are worth exploring and could also be very effective. This is very well done!