PDA

View Full Version : Leaf Among the Torrents

Mike Landwehr
12-09-2011, 04:55 PM
A small maple leaf clings to the rocks of lower Bond Falls in Michigan's UP. Used shadows/highlights to pull out more detail in the water, then applied Topaz Adjust 5 Photo Pop preset. Resize and USM. No other adjustments. No crop. C & C welcome.

1D Mark II N
28-135 at 135mm
ISO 200
1/6 sec at f/22
Tripod

Andrew McLachlan
12-09-2011, 06:25 PM
Hi Mike, I love everything about this image...I could and have shot these types of photos all day. The only thing that I am not crazy about is the clipped rock in the center of the top edge of the frame. A few steps closer or a longer focal length would have eliminated the rock. If it were mine I think I would crop just below that rock. Love the details in the water and the lone leaf adds a nice touch.

Dennis Bishop
12-09-2011, 08:12 PM
This is just a super image. It's packed with energy. I absolutely love the tones of the water. The curves and diagonals are very strong and effective. And that leaf puts it right over the top. There's just no way something so light and fragile should still be there.

I think Andrew has a good point about that rock, but I wouldn't crop it out because of what that would do to the upper right corner. Instead, I might lighten up the dark edge of the rock, just to make it less distracting. But leaving it just the way it is certainly wouldn't be a deal breaker.

Roman Kurywczak
12-10-2011, 12:11 PM
Hey Mike,
Nice diagonal to this. I think you can remove the rock by patching in some water or content aware fill....in either case not a biggie! Very nicely done!

Brendan Dozier
12-11-2011, 10:31 PM
I agree, Mike, beautiful composition and nicely executed. Just the right softness for the water flow, like the soft light, curves and diagonals, and great tones & textures.

Robert Amoruso
12-12-2011, 08:39 PM
Normally I would agree the rock suggestions, but either cropping it out or cloning out you need to get the water flow there looking correct. With the rock in the image, the reasons for the change in flow is readily apparent.

Well composed and executed.