PDA

View Full Version : Camelthorn Nocturne

Morkel Erasmus
12-09-2011, 02:59 PM
An image created during my recent trip to the Kalahari. I was in the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park so I had to limit my nightscapades to the confines of the rest camps (what with lions about... :eek3: )

The holes in the ground are the dens of ground squirrels. This was in the Nossob Rest Camp for those who know the Park.

Techs:
Nikon D3s with 14-24mm f2.8 @ 14mm
f2.8 @ 25s @ ISO-3200
Foreground illuminated by bouncing an LED Lenser torch off my hand and directing it by tilting my hand in the direction I wanted illumination

Norm Dulak
12-09-2011, 05:01 PM
Hi Morkel.

Thanks for another interesting night sky photograph. I like the star-studded sky, the placement of the tree, and your comments about the foreground.

But while I understand the need for subdued illumination under the circumstances, I find the image to be a bit too dark overall. I've experimented a little with your image using the Photoshop levels middle slider, and I find that with a very modest adjustment, the image can be made more to my liking. You might consider doing that.

But it is very nice as posted, and I appreciate your story of how you illuminated the foreground.

Norm

Morkel Erasmus
12-09-2011, 05:17 PM
Thanks for your thoughts, Norm. I used to illuminate the FG a lot more but lately I have found that I prefer the "painting" to be more subdued in keeping with the nocturnal feeling. One needs to get the feeling that it was shot at night despite the illumination, if you know what I mean? :e3

The reason I bounce the torch from my hand not just for directing the light more balanced, but also both for taming the harshness of the torch and also for adding a "warmer" tone to the blue-ish LED light. :tinysmile_shy_t:

Andrew McLachlan
12-09-2011, 05:30 PM
Hi Morkel, I like this one as is. I think you achieved your goal nicely of creating the nocturnal feel with the subdued painting. Nice work!

Norm Dulak
12-09-2011, 05:45 PM
Thanks for your thoughts, Norm. I used to illuminate the FG a lot more but lately I have found that I prefer the "painting" to be more subdued in keeping with the nocturnal feeling. One needs to get the feeling that it was shot at night despite the illumination, if you know what I mean? :e3

I understand your new approach, and I appreciate it. I think you are on to something good.

Roman Kurywczak
12-10-2011, 12:08 PM
Hey Morkel,
Nice job with the illumination! I think you can go both ways with a bit more agressive painting or as in this case....a bit less. I like this as presented too with great placement of the tree.

Roger Clark
12-10-2011, 02:03 PM
Hi Morkel,

Very nice image. I like the mood here a lot. But the Pleiades are upside down!:S3: I like the idea of bouncing the light off your hand. I really dislike the blue cast of LED lights, so a nice simple solution. What kind of light are you using (any idea of the lumen output)?

Many of your stars appear white. Did you use levels to bring the intensity up? If not, what processing?

Roger

Morkel Erasmus
12-12-2011, 03:36 PM
But the Pleiades are upside down!

Are you sure you weren't a bit tipsy when viewing this, Roger? :w3

I like the idea of bouncing the light off your hand. I really dislike the blue cast of LED lights, so a nice simple solution. What kind of light are you using (any idea of the lumen output)

Thanks Roger. I use an LED Lenser (www.ledlenser.com (http://www.ledlenser.com)), revolutionary lights. I've to a small one strapped to my belt at all times in the bush (model P7 - 175 lumens). The one I use for light-painting is the P17 (200 lumens but a more focused beam and about the physical size of a large Maglite). There's one above my model, the X21, which outputs 1000 lumens. You have to see this light to believe it. Batteries last very long due to the LED design. :Whoa!:

Many of your stars appear white. Did you use levels to bring the intensity up? If not, what processing?

I did not do anything specific, except add a bit of LCE to the sky as a whole...:t3...

Jay Gould
12-12-2011, 05:54 PM
Excellent approach and capture. This totally works for me! Thanks for the suggestion about bouncing the light off of your hand.

Robert Amoruso
12-12-2011, 08:43 PM
Morkel,

I would say this is my favorite of this type if image so far. I like the well defined silhouette and the illumination level just right for me.

Morkel Erasmus
12-17-2011, 05:18 PM
Thanks for your kind comments Jay and Robert...:t3