PDA

View Full Version : Theme Bathing Redhead

Cheryl Arena Molennor
12-09-2011, 11:09 AM
St Pete Fl was lucky to get these guys close. Unfortunately my lens is in for repair and I am happy to now know why my images havn't been sharp. It's not all in my head. So... with this particular shoot I have to sharpen more than usual. Does it look OK?

Camera Model Canon EOS-1D Mark III
Shooting Mode Aperture-Priority AE
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/2000
Av( Aperture Value ) 8.0
Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
ISO Speed 500
Lens EF300mm f/2.8L IS USM +2.0x

C&C always Thanks

Jonathan Ashton
12-09-2011, 11:18 AM
It looks OK Cheryl but it doesn't look as sharp as it could be. Hope I haven't rained on your parade.:S3:

Cheryl Arena Molennor
12-09-2011, 11:44 AM
It looks OK Cheryl but it doesn't look as sharp as it could be. Hope I haven't rained on your parade.:S3:

Not at all Jonathan, I appreciate the honesty. What rained on my parade was the fact that I had a great photo op with these guys THEN found out my lens was not working right :(

Mital Patel
12-09-2011, 11:54 AM
Oops was the lens hunting ? cuz mine is doing same sometimes :(

is this big crop btw ? liked the splash and cropping lesser might help if not FF.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
12-09-2011, 12:35 PM
[QUOTE=Mital Patel;749272]Oops was the lens hunting ? cuz mine is doing same sometimes :(

is this big crop btw ? liked the splash and cropping lesser might help if not FF.[/QUOTE

Ys Mita it was hunting and my images were not good for a while now. It was hit or miss. Tested it and found out the focus ring is sticking and jumping. Canon has it now. As far as the image Not a big crop. This is almost full frame and i used USM instead of Smart Sharpen. Do we see a difference?

Kaustubh Deshpande
12-09-2011, 01:08 PM
Cheryl, I like the pose, low angle, the splash, water drops, exposure and head position. It does come across as a shot that has been sharpened in post though. Have you also sharpened the BG? Not sure if it is due to sharpening or noise or both, the BG does not look very smooth. If your drops aren't sharp in orig, yes, it will look odd with only the bird sharpened.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
12-09-2011, 01:32 PM
[QUOTE=Kaustubh Deshpande;749289]Cheryl, I like the pose, low angle, the splash, water drops, exposure and head position. It does come across as a shot that has been sharpened in post though. Have you also sharpened the BG? Not sure if it is due to sharpening or noise or both, the BG does not look very smooth. If your drops aren't sharp in orig, yes, it will look odd with only the bird sharpened.[/QUOT

First post is smart sharpened entire image then selective again on the face. Image two selective on the duck
image 3 UM entire image and selective on face for second round

Cheryl Arena Molennor
12-09-2011, 01:34 PM
[QUOTE=Kaustubh Deshpande;749289]Cheryl, I like the pose, low angle, the splash, water drops, exposure and head position. It does come across as a shot that has been sharpened in post though. Have you also sharpened the BG? Not sure if it is due to sharpening or noise or both, the BG does not look very smooth. If your drops aren't sharp in orig, yes, it will look odd with only the bird sharpened.[/QUOT

First post is smart sharpened entire image then selective again on the face. Image two selective on the duck
image 3 UM entire image and selective on face for second round

oops heres the image

Kaustubh Deshpande
12-09-2011, 01:40 PM
Cheryl, I think the duck looks good in image 2. But in that image, BG is noisy and you say you haven't sharpened it. could just be a noise issue then. How much are you sharpening the raw file?

Sachin Saraf
12-09-2011, 02:11 PM
Cheryl I really like the second image minus noise pointed out by KD...the crop is better than first as the complete splash is in frame..

Scott Leslie
12-09-2011, 03:25 PM
I think this is a strong capture, nice to see dynamic images like this that are more than a straight profile shot. There's nothing about this image that bothers me!

Don Lacy
12-09-2011, 04:43 PM
Hi Cheryl, The head just does not look right you can tell its been over sharpen and you really should never sharpen the whole image when you have a solid BG like this all it's going to do is sharpen the noise making it more apparent ( one of the reasons most people say the 50D and 7D are to noisy they do not know how to properly sharpen the image for those cameras). I think it's ok for web presentation but I do not think it will hold up for printing unfortunately.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
12-09-2011, 05:24 PM
Hi Cheryl, The head just does not look right you can tell its been over sharpen and you really should never sharpen the whole image when you have a solid BG like this all it's going to do is sharpen the noise making it more apparent ( one of the reasons most people say the 50D and 7D are to noisy they do not know how to properly sharpen the image for those cameras). I think it's ok for web presentation but I do not think it will hold up for printing unfortunately.

Hey Don. Yeah I usually don't sharpen the bg but the water spray needed a little too and it was a little hard to select. Unfortunately I think most of the images from this day are not going to work on account of my lens being bad and that makes me very sad cause I got some really close shots..

Don Lacy
12-09-2011, 06:45 PM
Hey Don. Yeah I usually don't sharpen the bg but the water spray needed a little too and it was a little hard to select
copy the BG run the sharpening filter ad a layer mask fill it with black and paint in the most prominent water drops they do not all need to be sharpen this way the BG stays noise free and you still highlight the drops now this might take a little extra time :S3: but artist do suffer for their art

Cheryl Arena Molennor
12-09-2011, 07:13 PM
Ahaaa Okay thanks Don.