PDA

View Full Version : At the Waterhole

Ken Watkins
12-09-2011, 09:20 AM
A herd of Sable slake their thirst at Kennedy 2 waterhole, fortunately they posed somewhat tidily, from this shot the difference in colour between young and females to the black male is reasonably apparent.

Hwange National Park, Zimbabwe 2nd September 2011.

The viewing area around this waterhole is quite small and the water was not as it's usual level (don't ask) so a look down point of view was the only possibility

EOS 1D MkIII

70-200mm F2.8 MkII at 200mm

F4, ISO 400, 1/4000

This looks far better before compression.

Marc Mol
12-09-2011, 05:28 PM
A fine sighting to witness and experience, well depicted showing the colour variances :w3.
TFS

Tom Graham
12-09-2011, 08:28 PM
Nice. Nice to see them of all ages/sex. My only nit is the one in back merges with the one "below" it.
And you're saying you can see the effects of jpg compression on this here on BPN?? ( I believe you because I saw such with my ele image and its very busy BG.)
Tom

Ken Watkins
12-09-2011, 11:43 PM
Tom,

This is FF as to width and therefore quiite a big file to get down to 250, there is a reasonably large difference between this and my post of the same image at that "other place"

Richard Stern
12-10-2011, 12:28 PM
Hi,

Beautiful image with a great sense of perspective and almost 3-D. Would it have been possible to include a bit more of the reflections in the water?

Richard

Ken Watkins
12-10-2011, 11:12 PM
Richard,

Regarding the water, some "well meaning" folks thought it would be very green to replace the pumping ststem with a gigantic solar powered one (presumably considerd green), and it produce so little water that the waterhole was very dry and muddy. Luckily when we were there Gary, the guy that manages the pumps was installing a new diesel pump and we were happy to assist with watering the concrete pad to hopefully prevent the pad drying out to quickly. It is now working and the waterhole is restored to its former glory.

This excercise cost in excess of $30,000 which could have been more well spent, but that's conservationists for you!

Harshad Barve
12-11-2011, 12:07 AM
Now this is what we can say is GANG ,
Excellent image
TFS