PDA

View Full Version : Just Another Susnet at the Green River

Roman Kurywczak
12-07-2011, 05:45 PM
Just getting around to working on some of my images from my Arches/canoynlands/MV tour in October! This is one of my favorite locations. Had to use both the Reverse GND and a regular GND to balance the lighting in the scene.
Canon 1D Mark lll with the 28-135mm lnes @28mm for 0.8 sec. at f16 and ISO 400 all tripod mounted with bubble level in HS. Saved at 74 quality to fit.

Brendan Dozier
12-08-2011, 01:49 AM
Oh yeah, sure Roman, just another sunset! I'm trying not to use the word "awesome", but this is freakin awesome! Great vast expanse. Incredible burning sky, and nice red earth tones on the canyon. The snaking of the river canyon is almost echoed in the cloud formation above, and the dusting of snow on the canyon rim is a great touch and helps to give it more definition. Just curious why you used f16 instead of f22? Well done! :cheers:

Roger Clark
12-09-2011, 11:31 AM
Hi Roman,

Ho Hum, just another sunset!:w3:w3 Yeah, wish they were all like that. I've been at Green River overlook for sunset dozens of times, and that is a spectacular sunset. This is one of my favorite locations. If I need to veg out, this is my top spot--just sit on a rock and stare at the view all day.

Seems to me (on my uncalibrated laptop monitor) that contrast could be boosted a little. The blue sky is a little washed out, and I see a slight halo on the horizon on the left side (maybe just jpeg artifacts?). Small (very small) nits on a spectacular image. Wish I was there.

It looks a little hazy in the distance, though not as much as usual these days (used to be much clearer on average 20 years ago).

Roger

Mike Landwehr
12-09-2011, 02:06 PM
Roman, just an absolutely beautiful image! Can't think of a thing that I'd change. Nice work with the GNDs. It's interesting to see what can be done with the 28-135. Did you do some dodging along the edges of the canyon in PP, or are those highlights a natural phenomena? Those highlights really are crucial to the beauty of this image, IMHO.

Morkel Erasmus
12-09-2011, 03:15 PM
Roman, a spectacular sunset from a spectacular spot my friend! :Whoa!::2eyes2:
I too love the highlighted rim of the canyon in front, and agree with Roger that a hint more contrast could work nicely. I too see a slight halo on the upper left horizon edge :e3.
I love how the sky works so well with the red earth.

Andrew McLachlan
12-09-2011, 06:20 PM
Hey Roman, very nice...love the terrain and the colors in the sky are fab!

Roger Clark
12-09-2011, 07:35 PM
Roman, just an absolutely beautiful image! Can't think of a thing that I'd change. Nice work with the GNDs. It's interesting to see what can be done with the 28-135. Did you do some dodging along the edges of the canyon in PP, or are those highlights a natural phenomena? Those highlights really are crucial to the beauty of this image, IMHO.

Hi Mike,

Yes, the whitish rocks around the canyon are real: an exposure of a different geologic formation: the White Rim Sandstone. It's part of what makes the area so magical.

Roger

Roman Kurywczak
12-10-2011, 12:05 PM
Thanks all! Thanks too for Roger beating me to the rim explanation! Will go back and look at RAW file for halo......might be dust as the wind was howling! That is why I stopped down to f/16 Brendan as the clouds were flying and didn't like the longer SS and what it did to the sky. I go there often Roger.....like you said.....even to just hang out!

Roger Clark
12-10-2011, 01:52 PM
Hi Roman,

I am finally in front of my calibrated monitor. My comments above were from my laptop. On my calibrated monitor the image is simply spectacular. It does not need more contrast. (Too bad we can't detect people's monitors and its calibration and present a different image to them that optimizes the view for them.) Very nicely done. Really wish I was there. I do have a 4x5 velvia transparency with a sunset like this--I must scan it sometime.

Roger

edit: I looked at my comments above, and it seems the blue in the sky is a still little weak (on my calibrated monitor).

Grady Weed
12-11-2011, 06:22 PM
I love the f/16 depth of field, it makes the scene, a nice use of near to far. Well done on capturing the colors and tonal range without blowing or muddying up the scene. A very breath taking image. I like the upper right clouds leading look, it is simple but pleasing. Thanks for sharing this image Roman.

Roger Clark
12-11-2011, 08:33 PM
I love the f/16 depth of field, it makes the scene, a nice use of near to far.

Just a quick note, even the closest parts of the scene are about a mile away, so even an f-ratio of 2.8 would keep the entire scene in focus.

Roger

dankearl
12-12-2011, 12:15 AM
Beautiful image I know well and a nice description of the white rim which is a geological formation and is a
Famous 100 mile loop/bike ride.
Fantastic sunset captured very well.