PDA

View Full Version : Sable Antelope

Ken Watkins
12-07-2011, 08:53 AM
Sable are not the easiest of subjects as they tend not to sit around in the sun, and usually move off if you try to get near them, but you have to try:S3:

Being almost totally shiny black does not help either.

I'll be the first to admit that the BG here is not very conducive, but woodland is the normal habitat of Sable.

Taken in Hwange National Park, Zimbabwe, 4th September 2011

EOS 1D MkIV

500mm F4 IS hand-held

F7.1, ISO 800, 1/2500, EV +0.33

Harshad Barve
12-07-2011, 09:15 AM
I would like to see these some day , Excellent image
TFS

Robert Amoruso
12-07-2011, 09:58 AM
Ken,

As you mentioned, they like to walk away as this one is doing and that hurts the viewer's interest in the image.

Tom Graham
12-07-2011, 01:39 PM
I've never seen one in wild either, beautiful animal. The BG does not bother me, I prefer showing something about the BG rather than just a color blur. This does that nicely, BG is identifiable yet slightly out of focus to keep emphasis on Sable. Agree with above on "head angle", a frontal view is (usually) more interesting than the hind view.
Wonder if flipping it left-right would help that slightly?? (A "coming into the pic" rather than "going out of" illusion?)

Tom

Marc Mol
12-07-2011, 04:06 PM
All nits considered Ken, this guy is a fine specimen of the species, and one of my favourite antelope.:w3
TFS

Ken Watkins
12-07-2011, 09:53 PM
Thanks to everybody for your comments and suggestions. the animal in question was walking almost parallel to the road (no off roading allowed), rather than away, but I think that Tom's idea may improve it.

Morkel Erasmus
12-07-2011, 11:27 PM
Another antelope that I have zero images of...:Whoa!:
I like the woodlands BG as well...but agree with Robert that the angle of walking "seems" to be "away" - especially given the head angle with the hind horn protruding to the left of the front horn.
Blacks seem well exposed which can be tough for an animal like this.

Ken Watkins
12-07-2011, 11:32 PM
Morkel,

Thanks for your comments, Hwange is the only place in the "wild" where have regularly seen Sable, albeit not usually in photogenic positions.

Morkel Erasmus
12-08-2011, 12:08 AM
We have found them in Kruger, but mostly where others find them too: between Skukuza and Tshokwane, specifically the dirt roads.

gail bisson
12-08-2011, 05:23 AM
Hi Ken,
My experience with sable antelope is the complete opposite of yours! I have seen them twice, lying in the sun and on the grass! They are difficult to photograph because of the black coats. All the issues have been addressed but I still like this image a lot,
Gail

Ken Watkins
12-08-2011, 05:41 AM
Gail,

Thanks for your comments, you were lucky to find them "laying in the sun" I have only seen that once, any images?

gail bisson
12-08-2011, 11:46 AM
Gail,

Thanks for your comments, you were lucky to find them "laying in the sun" I have only seen that once, any images?
Of course and I will post today!:w3...but they are not lying down in this shot
Gail