PDA

View Full Version : My first attempt at repairing clipped wing tips- African Fish Eagle

gail bisson
12-06-2011, 05:55 PM
With the patient help of my photoshop tutor-Eric Boutilier-Brown I added canvas on top( I knew how to do this on my own!) and fixed the tips of 3 primaries. Usually, I just delete pics with clipped wings but the position of the fish in the talons was too good to throw away. It took me 1 1/2 hours ( + a lot of 4 letter words) to replicate what Eric showed me and I'm not sure I would do this again but it is a keeper for my personal files!
Canon 7D
f 2.8 70-200mm with 1.4x
ISO 640
SS 1/2000
Full frame + added canvas. On tripod in boat at ~ 7:00am
Comments and critiques always appreciated and learned from,
Gail

dankearl
12-06-2011, 08:03 PM
It looks great, I would not have known unless you said so.
The bird/fish pose is a good one.
Africa is bright at 7 am!

Stu Bowie
12-07-2011, 12:56 AM
Gail, great repair work which I presume was the FE's left wing ( the higher one ) Nice and sharp, and well timed for the catch, and I like the angle. Thats a fair size tiger fish, and the droplets add to the image.

Melissa Groo
12-07-2011, 07:34 AM
Fantastic job on this Gail. I think the work was well worth it. I would never have been able to tell!
I really like the splash, drops, and great angle of the fish in view.

allanrube
12-07-2011, 07:40 AM
It was definitely worth it. You have a great image here with many elements working together. The skill you learned in the time you spent will help you with future images too, ones that maybe will not take so long.

Dan Busby
12-07-2011, 08:48 AM
Great repair job Gail. I did this a couple of times and know how much time and patience it can suck up! Love the action here - the water boil where the bird caught the fish, great angle approaching you, water droplets. Also good exposure on those bright whites and nice eye catch.

Dumay de Boulle
12-07-2011, 10:42 AM
I think you have done well, the splashes are great...Must have been hard to rebuild those tips with that busy BG. Head & neck looks like it could toned down a bit!

Brendan Dozier
12-07-2011, 02:09 PM
Great action capture, Gail, love the pose, diagonal line, splash, and how clearly you can see the claws and fish. Nice PB work, I know it can be frustrating.