Melissa Groo
12-06-2011, 02:50 PM
Canon 1D4
500m
Gitzo 3530LS/Wilmberley

ISO 400
1/800 sec
f/5

From the workshop with Studebaker in Oct in Ohio. Not sure it's technically a bath, but I thought it might work for the theme. I liked the playful feel of this and the water on the head and encasing the body. I really liked the look of the water and the BG. Not sure how folks think the crop works (took out about 30-40%). I wanted the duck to have space to look into ahead, but also feature the cool water splashes behind it. Would appreciate your thoughts on this.

Sharpening, whites recovery in CS5.

I greatly welcome and am grateful for all C and C. Thanks for looking.

gail bisson
12-06-2011, 05:15 PM
Hi Melissa,
I would definitely give this guy more room behind. Good splash and nice low angle. The eye looks weird ? nictitating membrane. You did well at the workshop,
gail

Andrew Merwin
12-06-2011, 05:16 PM
This is another wonderful wood duck image Melissa. I really like the water drops & the water cascading over & off the duck. The crop works very well for me as I think the splashing water behind the duck adds to the composition. I also like the BG. That appears to be a very happy & contented duck without a care in the world. It is a joyful image that brings a smile to my face. TFS.

Morkel Erasmus
12-06-2011, 05:44 PM
I love the colours reflecting on the water, and of course the plumage on this lovely duck.
I agree with Gail for wanting to see a bit more room behind...:bugeyed:

Melissa Groo
12-06-2011, 07:15 PM
Thanks Gail, Morkel and Andrew. Am reposting with a bit more room behind. Gail, you're right, there was a bit of nictitating membrane beginning to happen on the eye, as well as some droplets. I went back in and took a few secs to work on it, maybe it looks better now. And yes, Gail, the workshop was great, thanks for your kind words.

laurie golden
12-06-2011, 07:51 PM
So glad you reposted this with more room in the back that makes it perfect. I love the colors and the splash.

Melissa Groo
12-06-2011, 09:21 PM
Thanks Laurie. Glad you like it better.

Daniel Cadieux
12-06-2011, 09:24 PM
Hi Melissa, that is one impressive water action you got here!! Excellent pose, and I especially like the film of water trail down from the bill. Great low angle, colours, BG.

I find the OP too close to the left, and the repost too much canvas added back (but great job on the eye!!). I know composition can be very subjective but here is what I feel strikes a good balance to the whole scene...hope you like:

Melissa Groo
12-07-2011, 08:07 AM
Thanks Daniel, I think you've got it there, the best comp. I struggled with it as you can see! Thanks for your time and great feedback.

Dan Busby
12-07-2011, 08:36 AM
Another great image from your Woodie collection Melissa. I noticed the eye issue immediately but that has been taken care of now. I didn't see a lot wrong with the OP comp but I think it was improved for the last post. Beautiful setting for this colourful bird.