PDA

View Full Version : Caught One!

Kent Wilson
04-06-2008, 12:53 PM
Canon 20D, 100-400@310mm. Exposure 1/200; f/8, IOS200. Exp Comp +1

This is one of a series of photos I took of a great blue heron fishing. He (or she) was quite successful, taking 3 fish while I watched.

All suggestions appreciated, with thanks in advance.

Bryan Parker
04-06-2008, 06:30 PM
Wonderful shot. love the splash.
I need some help understanding. Your exposure seems right on with an exp. comp +1. I would have thought that with the bright water you would have needed a minus comp. Help!
Bryan

Alfred Forns
04-06-2008, 06:45 PM
Hi Kent !!! Great timing !!!! Getting the blues with a fish and facing the camera is always good !!! Also have a good head position and do like the bent legs Cropping wise might have left a tad more on the back but you did well with the space up front and top/bottom

Exposure wise there is something going on Light is from your hard right so the head is light, neck in shadows and top of bird lit. Best to have light from behind you to light the bird evenly. With dark water behind you and this much light you normally would not dial in plus compensation. Not sure what went on during process to make it to this point. Can tell it is over exposed from the lack of detail in the white feathers

If you wanted to create a side lit image fill flash would have been in order Got lots of good things here Just remember the light angle and check your histogram !!!!

Kent Wilson
04-06-2008, 07:39 PM
I may be mistaken about the exposure. The water was not especially bright; lots of algae in it. This may be a case of dumb luck and some play in Photoshop. The image has been darkened from its appearance as RAW.

Thanks for the kind response. I'll keep on trying and learning.

Gus Cobos
04-06-2008, 08:13 PM
Kent,
Fantastic capture. Love the action, details and the vibrant colors...:D

Kent Wilson
04-07-2008, 11:28 AM
Bryan --I rechecked my exposure record and I did have Exp Comp at +1. ( Before photographing the heron, I was trying to photograph some Cooper's Hawks in a woodlot in deep shadow. I forgot to change the setting.) Alfred is correct; the image was very overexposed. Luckily, I shoot RAW. So here is how this image got as saved as it was.

In Adobe Camera RAW, Exposure slider moved to -0.25; Recovery slider set at 93; Blacks=5; Brightness = -15; Contrast = +57. The main adjustment in Photoshop was in Curves and Shadow/Highlight and to burn the rocks.

Oscar Zangroniz
04-07-2008, 07:49 PM
Excellent composition, great timing on this one. Very nice.