PDA

View Full Version : Rosy-throated Longclaw

Steve Kaluski
12-06-2011, 12:24 PM
Not quite bordering on endangered, this is still a rare bird I gather. I thought I would go with this version only because it shows more of the habitat compared to other in the sequence that are more tighter, perhaps offering more detail?

Steve

Subject: Rosy-throughted Longclaw perched in tall grass (Macronyx ameliae)
Camera: Canon MKIV
Lens: 500f/4 - HH
Exposure: 1/500s at f/5.6 ISO400 0 stop compensation
Time of day: 4.10pm
Crop: Cropped to approx 70% of original (original capture vertical)

Kaustubh Deshpande
12-06-2011, 12:41 PM
Steve, really like the colors, exposure, habitat and sharpness here. Head turn is a bit too extreme for my tastes....but for a rare one, rules are different :-) With this look back, I'd have composed it differently...with more space on right and less on left.

Steve Kaluski
12-06-2011, 01:01 PM
Thanks Kaustubn, as the space is fairly equal either side I could move the crop, however I felt that the strands of grass on the RHS might be a little too distracting for some, hence the crop taken. Always better to have more space to look into.

Will post the larger version in the near future which perhaps has a better HA. :w3

cheers
Steve

Dan Busby
12-06-2011, 01:02 PM
Interesting photo Steve. The bird looks like one of our pipits, except more colourful. I like the inclusion of habitat, especially since it does not interfere with the view of bird. The colours look a tad flat to me - I wonder about a slight vibrance punch (although not if it misrepresents the actual colours). Agree with KD about the crop and HA.

gail bisson
12-06-2011, 05:43 PM
What a treat for you to see this bird. I agree about a bit more room to the right. Tack sharp. I bit busy BG but I am OK with it ,
Gail

Robert Holguin
12-06-2011, 11:21 PM
Great shot. I really like the habitat, real nice detail, and agree on the crop.
Well done.

Dumay de Boulle
12-07-2011, 12:48 AM
I have to say the HA detracts from this one, I would like to see one with a better HA. The detail and environment are great.