PDA

View Full Version : Suicide month Pt 7

Marc Mol
12-06-2011, 05:12 AM
7.04pm
An hour has passed and after much mayhem one of the buffalo's has become stuck in the thick gooey mud of the riverbank and the pride
seized the moment and began tucking in by taking out the tail and biting the spine, subsequently paralysing it.
During the time it became stuck, and with the pride concentrating it's attention on this hapless guy the other buff headed for the safety of the scrub,
however it amazingly returned to help it's bro and fatally paid the price with the pride turning on it, this made sense as it was less of a risk with the other
now drawing the attention of large crocs with it trying feebly to free itself from it's muddy grave.

I used my SB900 flash zoom function in this image to try and capture the reflecting croc eyes in the BG.
D3s 500VR +SB900 1/60s f/4 ISO400, slight crop top & bottom to pano. Sth Luangwa NP- Zambia Oct 2011.

C & C most welcome

Cheers
Marc

gail bisson
12-06-2011, 06:07 AM
A powerful image. The reflected crocs eyes add to the sense of unfolding drama. I wish the reflected eyes were all the same color and would be tempted to make them all yellow. Otherwise, no nits from me,
Gail

Ken Watkins
12-06-2011, 06:56 AM
Marc,

An interesting image but not really my cup of tea.
I remember Buifallo regularly getting stuck in the mud there are they a little bit siillyor what?

Dumay de Boulle
12-06-2011, 08:28 AM
Thanks for sharing this sighting it has been a very interesting series!

laurie golden
12-06-2011, 01:52 PM
Marc,

Thanks for the series. I have enjoyed the story with the photos.

Morkel Erasmus
12-06-2011, 03:09 PM
What a compelling and dramatic ending, Marc...only in Africa. Thanks for keeping us in suspense and entertained with this series...:5
Looking forward to more from your trip...:Whoa!:

Steve Kaluski
12-06-2011, 04:50 PM
An almost surreal image Marc with the Buff looking into camera, resigned to knowing the end is in sight and what appears to be the lion gently feeding, no sign of any frenzy. Having the crocs in the BKG just adds to the content of the image. Just wonder if you should extend the water to cover the rock in the LH corner?

TFS
Steve

Brendan Dozier
12-06-2011, 06:15 PM
Interesting & dramatic image, Marc. Horrible fate for that buffalo, but that's nature for you. The glowing eyes of the crocs in BG really add to the sense of doom. Think Gail may have point regarding having the eye colors more similar, or maybe tone down the bright red one.

Marc Mol
12-06-2011, 09:15 PM
Appreciate all the comments guys, many thanks.

Marc,

I remember buffalo regularly getting stuck in the mud there are they a little bit silly or what?

Too true Ken, especially his mate who escaped and then came back to meet his fate.:e3

I wish the reflected eyes were all the same color and would be tempted to make them all yellow.
Gail

Good point Gail, I just remembered why some had that red eye, due to those useless red spot filter cover that one vehicle was using.:2eyes2:

Kiran Khanzode
12-06-2011, 11:15 PM
Marc,

Killer series, it takes a lot of time in the field to witness such stuff...thx for sharing !:cheers:

Harshad Barve
12-06-2011, 11:23 PM
Marc,

Killer series, it takes a lot of time in the field to witness such stuff...thx for sharing !:cheers:

Echo KK here , Mind blowing stuff
TFS

Vivaldo Damilano
12-07-2011, 08:10 AM
Excellent Marc, croc in the BG add nicely to the story :cheers::cheers:

Rachel Hollander
12-07-2011, 08:35 AM
Marc - great series. Thanks for taking us along and capturing the action so well.

Rachel