PDA

View Full Version : Juv. Vermillion Flycatcher

Cal Walters
12-05-2011, 11:48 PM
In the SF Bay Area we have been treated to a rare visitor which has been very cooperative for photographers. It tends to perch fairly high - so the angles tend to be shot upwards.

Shot with a Canon 7D with a EF 100-400mm lens @ 400mm
Shot in AV mode
f/9
1/1250 sec

Dan Busby
12-06-2011, 10:34 AM
Cal - a nice catch of a species I would love to have a shot at. Nice eye-catching pose with the tail up and the rusty vent showing and good catch light in the eye. Critical detail in the bird is lacking and the image shows a lot of granularity - perhaps a large crop?

Daniel Cadieux
12-06-2011, 01:03 PM
Sounds like you guys are having a field day with this rare fella down iin SF!! Angle doen't look too bad. I really like the pose you got here, but I agree the IQ makes it seem like a large crop.

laurie golden
12-06-2011, 02:20 PM
You have a very good pose for a bird that is perched high and I love the tail. A good photo of a rare bird in your location is very special. I would also like to see it with less of a crop.

Cal Walters
12-06-2011, 10:25 PM
So this was the original image - I've cleaned out some the extra branches, but I did it after the crop - not sure if that is the right work flow. How much extra space would you think is enough?