PDA

View Full Version : White Sands Yucca Silhouette

Arthur Morris
12-05-2011, 10:00 PM
Yuccas were my principal focus as the dunes were pock-marked from the heavy rains a few days before...

Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS lens with the 1.4X III TC (at 280mm) and the EOS-1D Mark IV. 6:16 am. Evaluative metering +1/3 stop (to avoid burning the REDs/YELLOWs): 1/3 sec. at f/5.6. Live View for Mirror Lock and 2-sec. self timer. Gitzo 3530 LS with the Mongoose M3.6.

Don't be shy; all comments welcome.

Dave Leroy
12-05-2011, 11:38 PM
You must be looking the other way with this one. I like the nice diagonal of the plant as well as the solid base for the plant at the bottom. Colors are lovely.

I am probably not the person to be talking about busy images but this one does seem a bit busy. I want to get in a take out a few bits and pieces. It will be interesting to see what the others have to say.
I am sure there is a reason, but I wonder why f/5.6 and not more just to make sure on the dof.

Arthur Morris
12-06-2011, 07:59 AM
I am sure there is a reason, but I wonder why f/5.6 and not more just to make sure on the dof.

Everything looks sharp to me....

Dave Leroy
12-06-2011, 01:22 PM
I certainly agree about the sharpness. I am just curious about the choice for camera settings. SS would not seem to make a difference as far as sharpness is concerned in this case. I have a hard time in Live View making sure which parts of the scene are in focus even when zoomed in. Again I am just curious.

Arthur Morris
12-06-2011, 01:32 PM
With lots of distance to the subject and everything looking sharp and on the same plane I saw no need to stop down. Here's what I teach: if you can verbalize a good reason for stopping down then go ahead and stop down.

Dave Leroy
12-06-2011, 04:08 PM
Thanks. I like that. It is nice and simple.

I also imported the photo to see which pieces might be removed. It did not work out. It is a very well composed photo.

Steve Maxson
12-06-2011, 06:24 PM
Hi Artie. As with your previous image, I love the colors in the sky. I also like the diagonal flow of the comp and you have good sharpness throughout. I find no technical flaws in the image, but like Dave suggests, the subject seems a little busy to me. If either of the two yuccas on the right side of your previous image had been the subject, I think the image would be well over the top. :S3:

Norm Dulak
12-08-2011, 04:17 PM
While the colors and sharpness are good, I simply don't think this is a pleasing image. I feel that the massive, block elements that comprise most of the image overwhelm it. I think it would have been better if you had focused on the more delicate elements, and placed them against that pretty sky.

Jerry van Dijk
12-09-2011, 05:08 PM
Hi Arthur, indeed great BG again. I agree that the subject is a bit bulky, but the diagonal flower stalks make it an attractive subject nonetheless. I would have taken out my clippers (essential field gear for plant photographers!) and removed the flower stalk on the far right, as well as the fallen stalk on the lower left and on the lower right. Result: simpler silhouet, less busy (the standing stalk on the right crosses a whole bunch of leaves).
This sure is a magical place with all those yuccas!

Arthur Morris
12-09-2011, 05:32 PM
Best not to bring your tree clippers into a National Monument :S3:.

OvidiuCavasdan
12-10-2011, 02:19 PM
Bg color is excellent, I like the grasses at the base, a bit too busy subject (but that's the way it was - not much to do about), I find the base a bit too massive, I might be tempted to crop a bit from the bottom.

Jerry van Dijk
12-13-2011, 04:00 AM
Best not to bring your tree clippers into a National Monument :S3:.

Good point!