PDA

View Full Version : Dreamscape on the way to the Museum

Jay Sheinfield
12-05-2011, 09:59 PM
On the way to the museum this afternoon, I saw this peaceful scene, stopped the car, and grabbed it quick before the next car came along.

B/W conversion with standard Photoshop tools. Very light layer of Simplify BZ, several layers of luminosity adjustment, a bit of Glow, dabbed in some Tonal Contrast. The main effect came from a gradient layer of low opacity Monday Morning along with a pinch of FOG. At the end I applied a light layer of red/sepia gradient from the background sky to the brightest mid-ground foliage. Most of the image remains black and white.
Comments are very welcome.............

Mark Fuge
12-05-2011, 10:51 PM
Very nice image and application, Jay.

Nice soft glow.

Dennis Bishop
12-06-2011, 12:12 AM
Okay, Jay, I think I've finally figured it out. You're here working undercover for the Missouri Department of Tourism. :bg3: You've given us another super image of what the state has to offer. This image is just great in mostly black & white with all those tones. The curves, textures and feeling of depth are wonderful. Nice work.

Brendan Dozier
12-06-2011, 01:33 AM
Very nicely composed Jay, and way to grab the shot when you see it! I like they way you processed this. B&W conversion really highlights the tonal variation well. The light soft grasses almost give an infrared feel to it. Like the detail in FG and how texture softens progressively toward BG with bridge nicely placed in frame.

denise ippolito
12-06-2011, 07:22 AM
Jay, You've created a very peaceful look with the conversion. It has an almost IR look to it that I like. Nice composition with the curved line of the water. I think the masters touch is the Simplify. Nice job!

John Ippolito
12-06-2011, 12:20 PM
My first thought was that this is an IR image. Excellent composition, and tonal ranges throughout the image. The hi key looking grasses along both sides of the river keep the eye moving up and down the waterway. Very fine job on this, Jay.

Nancy Bell
12-06-2011, 02:33 PM
I love the glow to this and how the foreground details fade subtly as your eye moves back to the bridge. You have a great eye for both the original scene and the final product. Well done!

Cheryl Slechta
12-06-2011, 06:52 PM
Jay, I thought this was an IR when I saw the thumbnail. It reminds me of a black and white Kincaide:S3: I love the glow and the river winding through the scene. Nicely done.

Jay Sheinfield
12-07-2011, 01:41 PM
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the feedback.

Julie Kenward
12-08-2011, 11:02 AM
I also wondered if this was IR...amazing results from your pp efforts, Jay! I'm going to concentrate on black and white photography next year so this is very inspiring to me!

Jay Sheinfield
12-08-2011, 11:11 AM
I also wondered if this was IR...amazing results from your pp efforts, Jay! I'm going to concentrate on black and white photography next year so this is very inspiring to me!

Thanks Julie. I share your passion for working in b/w. It fits so many images..............

Andrew McLachlan
12-08-2011, 08:44 PM
Hi Jay, a little late but i quite like this. Especially the meandering river leading us to the bridge. The infrared-like glow is very cool!