Melissa Groo
12-05-2011, 01:22 PM
Canon 1D4
500m +1.4x
Handheld

ISO 800
1/320 sec
f/7.1

Took this a couple days ago at a local lake. First time I've photographed a redhead duck. The light was really nice, sun was almost down. I stopped down a bit due to duck's position.

In CS5, cloned out part of a mallard head at bottom of frame. Crop of maybe 40%. Sharpening. Pulled up shadows a bit and did some recovery in whites. Some darkening of the lighter parts of water as I found them distracting. Slight vignetting.

I greatly appreciate all C and C. Thanks for looking.

Sachin Saraf
12-05-2011, 02:44 PM
Nice capture Melissa lovely Eye contact and nice HA.

Andrew Merwin
12-05-2011, 03:05 PM
I really like this image. I like the reeds on the log, the water on the log, the redhead's pose, the sharpness, the BG. Very well done. TFS.

Bill Dix
12-05-2011, 03:55 PM
Lovely shot, Melissa. Nice pose, great detail. I wonder if the bright areas in the BG might be toned down even further, and maybe a little more NR? This is a species that has eluded me (one of many).

Melissa Groo
12-05-2011, 04:23 PM
Lovely shot, Melissa. Nice pose, great detail. I wonder if the bright areas in the BG might be toned down even further, and maybe a little more NR? This is a species that has eluded me (one of many).T

Thanks for your comments, Bill, Sachin and Andrew. Bill, here is a repost with your suggestions incorporated. Do you think I brought the lightness down enough?

Bill Dix
12-05-2011, 04:36 PM
Yes -- IMHO this helps keep the eye on the bird without straying to the bright spots in the BG. BTW, forgot to say that I like the comp with the grass on the wet log.

Sachin Saraf
12-05-2011, 04:42 PM
Repost works for me...even I thought the same initially about BG but did not mention :-)

gail bisson
12-05-2011, 04:50 PM
The IQ on this one is great and excellent DOF. My favorite part are the grasses over the log.I must be getting old eyes because I really don't see that much difference between the Op and the repost! Time to see the optometrist...
Gail

Andrew Merwin
12-05-2011, 05:22 PM
I agree with Gail re. the RP. I can barely see a difference (Cataracts?). I also just noticed the water drop on the end of the redhead's bill. That is a nice touch.

Melissa Groo
12-05-2011, 05:28 PM
Ha! This made me go back and look closely as yes at first glance they do kind of look strikingly similar! But if I look at them side by side I do see that some spots are a bit darker, particularly if you look close to the body on the right side. And I think I see less noise. But let me know if I should go darker on the BG or run noise again. Thanks Gail and Andrew!

Bill Dix
12-05-2011, 05:33 PM
The IQ on this one is great and excellent DOF. My favorite part are the grasses over the log.I must be getting old eyes because I really don't see that much difference between the Op and the repost! Time to see the optometrist...
Gail

If you open the thread in a second window, and toggle back and forth between the OP and repost, you can see a subtle difference -- about 5 or 6 points in the brightest spots, as measured by ColorPic. Admittedly slight, but I thought it helped.

dankearl
12-05-2011, 07:55 PM
Very nice, nice perch, IQ and pose.
The Redhead looks great against the BG.
The DOF with the log in focus, makes the shot.
Well done.

Arthur Morris
12-05-2011, 09:10 PM
Repost looks a bit lighter overall.... I think :e3. I would suggest sharpening the head a bit more. Good use of d-o-f. The raggedy part of the log lower left bugs me a bit; I prefer the smoother area on the right. But I like the green strands. Not much you could have done....

Kaustubh Deshpande
12-06-2011, 11:45 AM
Melissa, awesome shot. Loved the pose and the HA. nice light, details and DOF.