PDA

View Full Version : Sculpture In Blue

Norm Dulak
12-05-2011, 11:21 AM
Nikon D7000 w/Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 VR lens at 85mm, hand held
ISO 640; f/7.1, 1/1600 sec
PP: PS CS5 levels, curves, crop, and smart sharpen

The beauty of Antarctica is evident in so many ways -- in its wildlife, landscapes and ice formations. The image shown here, was captured at Paradise Bay, Antarctica.

Your comments and suggestions are most welcome.

Norm

Roger Clark
12-05-2011, 03:53 PM
Hi Norm,

This image is intriguing to me; could you please explain it more? How big is the blue cube? From the focal length, background, and ripples in the water, it looks quite large, but the detail on top makes it look like a small ice cube a few centimeters across. The black spots are real puzzling. I think the black spots are due to refraction of the light that is being transmitted through the ice, and the main light is behind the cube. Intriguing image as it makes the viewer wonder what it is.

Roger

Jay Gould
12-05-2011, 05:12 PM
Hi Norm, lovely as always. I would guess that it is actually a massive piece of ice well captured.

Norm Dulak
12-05-2011, 05:18 PM
Hi Norm,

This image is intriguing to me; could you please explain it more? How big is the blue cube? From the focal length, background, and ripples in the water, it looks quite large, but the detail on top makes it look like a small ice cube a few centimeters across. The black spots are real puzzling. I think the black spots are due to refraction of the light that is being transmitted through the ice, and the main light is behind the cube. Intriguing image as it makes the viewer wonder what it is.

Roger

Hi Roger.

The cube was at least about 6 feet by 6 feet in size, and I waded into the water with my Muck boots to photograph it. I think your rationale for the dark spots is probably correct. What I find really interesting about the cube is its relative clarity, compared to the ice above and around it. That suggests to me that the cube was formed by slowly freezing fresh water.

And then there is that almost mystical glow.

Norm

Norm Dulak
12-05-2011, 05:22 PM
Hi Norm, lovely as always. I would guess that it is actually a massive piece of ice well captured.

You're right Jay, it's a good piece of ice, as I've explained to Roger. And thanks for your comment, fellow Antarctic traveler!

Morkel Erasmus
12-06-2011, 04:26 PM
I like this one Norm...I can imagine it being hard to really compose images in this environment. The range of blues is quite something...:Whoa!:

Robert Amoruso
12-07-2011, 09:51 AM
Norm,

I really like this. The cube is incredibly intriguing. What I am finding most interesting in the play of light, shadow, form and substance on the lower portions of the cube - the blue parts. The ripples of frozen water on the sides, the dark spots. To me that is the essence of this subject - some much closer compositions to concentrate on the subtle details of it.

This is a great establishing image, but I see so much more potential imagery here.

Norm Dulak
12-07-2011, 03:51 PM
Norm,

I really like this. The cube is incredibly intriguing. What I am finding most interesting in the play of light, shadow, form and substance on the lower portions of the cube - the blue parts. The ripples of frozen water on the sides, the dark spots. To me that is the essence of this subject - some much closer compositions to concentrate on the subtle details of it.

This is a great establishing image, but I see so much more potential imagery here.

Thanks Morkel, for your comments. And special thanks to Robert for his observations, and for encouraging me to further explore the possibilities in this image.

Norm

Roman Kurywczak
12-07-2011, 05:39 PM
Hey Norm,
#1 on my list for visiting for reasons like this image! I think Robert covered my thoughts nicely and gave you some food for thought....as presented....I would take down the brightness of the ice and snow behind the cube a few points.....make it the center of attention even more....make sense? Just some more options for you to explore.

Norm Dulak
12-07-2011, 06:09 PM
Hey Norm,
#1 on my list for visiting for reasons like this image! I think Robert covered my thoughts nicely and gave you some food for thought....as presented....I would take down the brightness of the ice and snow behind the cube a few points.....make it the center of attention even more....make sense? Just some more options for you to explore.

As always, Roman, thanks for your valuable insight.

Brendan Dozier
12-08-2011, 01:23 AM
Norm, awesome natural ice sculpture you captured! Beautiful color and light on that cube, great suggestions above.

Andrew McLachlan
12-09-2011, 06:17 PM
Hi Norm, agree with the above comments for this really cool blue cube!

Grady Weed
12-11-2011, 06:39 PM
Hey Norm,

Ditto Norm. A very well done image, just super nice. Thanks for sharing.

arash_hazeghi
12-13-2011, 03:30 AM
very nice!!! good eyes!