PDA

View Full Version : Southern Cassowary (Casuarius casuarius) Etty Bay Queensland

Rod Warnock
12-04-2011, 03:15 PM
Southern Cassowary (Casuarius casuarius) Etty Bay Queensland
Canon EOS 7D Lens 400mm L USM ISO800 F6.3 1/640 available light 17 July 2011
During the all to brief session with this species at Etty Bay I had positioned myself so that bird would pass me by on way to rainforest proper. Naturally it soon meant that portraits were mandatory. The head casque had been in the literature described variously as a bony skull extension , or as a horn however a more recent investigation has revealed it to be keratinous structure containing cellular sponge. It can be depressed when pressed sideways but not from the narrow aspect. Cassowaries can run at speed in rainforest and hold head straight out in front of the body in doing so can crash into trees. See an abstract at: http://www.publish.csiro.au/?act=view_file&file_id=MU9880123.pdf for a more detailed discussion of this shock absorbing appendage. That given I would not like to be butted in the face by that casque !!
Thanks for viewing
Best regards
Rod Warnock

Doug Brown
12-04-2011, 05:11 PM
<embed id="application/x-exifeverywhere" type="application/x-exifeverywhere" width="0" height="0">Cool-looking bird and a great story too. Love the color and sharpness. A bit tight in the frame as presented though.

James Fuller
12-04-2011, 06:09 PM
Cool bird and thanks for the extra info to go with this unique species. I agree, to tight in the frame for me and I would lose the vertical gray line above his head.

Chuck Fritsch
12-04-2011, 06:37 PM
Great colors and detail. I like the frame except at the top where I agree it is a bit tight. I think that you might like it better without the gray stripe and indeed all of the gray above the head.

Stu Bowie
12-05-2011, 12:22 AM
Rod, my first impression of this guy would be to call him Rhino head, but your story has already explained his feature. I do like the detail and colours. Do you have a full body shot to show what the rest of him looks like.

Tom Rambaut
12-05-2011, 12:42 AM
Agree, it is a bit tight - especially the top. I like the BG colour but am a bit distracted by the vertical grey strip above the head. Sometimes not easy to see your BG when caught in the moment. Love the colours of the bird.

Ken Watkins
12-05-2011, 12:51 AM
I am totally happy with this, just getting an image of this bird, would be enough for me:cheers::cheers:

Rod Warnock
12-05-2011, 02:47 AM
Thank you all for your kind comments.
Yes! You are spot on it needs more canvas...I was blinded by filling the frame, which switched off my brain!!
Chuck: The gray worried me also but on balance left it as is.
Here is a repost with more canvas. Please, let me know how this looks.
Stuart Bowie: For a full view see earlier post at: http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/92003-Southern-Cassowary-(Casuarius-casuarius)-female-Etty-Bay-Queensland?highlight=cassowary
Thanks all
Best regards
Rod Warnock

Ofer Levy
12-05-2011, 05:56 AM
Repost is a winner !!!! Very impressive portrait of this monster!!!!

Nancy Bell
12-05-2011, 08:07 AM
Excellent repost. I had a very close encounter with this huge bird and can appreciate your excitement. I was told they could do great body damage with their massive claws.

RAM MALLYA
12-05-2011, 11:58 AM
Amazing looking bird lovely capture. Reminds me of Indian politicians who wear such caps .