PDA

View Full Version : Do you use VR when camera on Tripod

Paul Lagasi
04-06-2008, 09:23 AM
After my last post I decided to adjust the focus using AF Fine Tune in D300, but still had some problems. So I set up this focusing chart and took 2 photos, left using Single Servo and right using Continuous Servo. The results are shocking, when using Continuous-Servo the HSM winds up and you can hear it, feel the vibration in camera.

How many of you use AF-C, on static birds...
How many of you, use VR, on your lenses when camera on Tripod? (using either AF-C or AF-S)

Camera on Tripod
30 Feet Distance,
ISO - 500
1/2500
f:5
Sunlight, Camera Sharpening Off

Jeff Wear
04-06-2008, 11:29 AM
I use af-c almost all the time and turn off vr on the tripod unless weather condition make do otherwise . This is very telling and I am going to give this a try before my next trip back to nikon .I do not see if you on single turned on vr or is that just an open question ??

Robert Amoruso
04-06-2008, 11:34 AM
I am not sure about the Nikon systems but will have too look into it. Anyone know what Nikon recommends regarding VR when on a tripod?

Canon does recommend IS on a tripod for many lenses including 300 f2.6, 500mm and 600mm.

Robert O'Toole
04-06-2008, 11:48 AM
Nikon has a VR I, VR II, and the new VR. The new VR on the 400-500-600 VR all have a Tripod mode. So according to Nikon you are not supposed to use I or II on when using a tripod only the new 400-500-600, and then only in tripod mode.
Note: Actually I recall reading on Bjørn Rørslett's site some time ago that even thought Nikon officially says you can use VR on all the time with the 200-400 etc, they recommend that you leave the head loose and not locked down.

Paul, is the test done with VR on right before firing or does VR stay on for a while. I find that it will vibrate when it is first activated then the vibration settles down. Interesting info either way.

Robert

Mike Dale
04-06-2008, 12:07 PM
The 200-400VR can be used on a tripod. An extract from page 17 of the manual under the heading Major Features, "Vibration reduction is possible when taking pictures using a tripod because the lens automatically determines when it is mounted on a tripod".

Robert O'Toole
04-06-2008, 12:25 PM
The 200-400VR can be used on a tripod. An extract from page 17 of the manual under the heading Major Features, "Vibration reduction is possible when taking pictures using a tripod because the lens automatically determines when it is mounted on a tripod".

Subsequent info from Nikon says yes, only if the tripod head is not locked down, I am not making this up. On the new 400-500-600 VR they say tripod when locked down and normal when on a tripod loose and not locked down.

Confusing and a little strange isnt it :)

Robert

P.s. someone needs to contact Nikon directly....I can email NPS on monday if anyone is interested.

Mike Dale
04-06-2008, 01:22 PM
OK thanks for that. I never turn VR off. I'll give it a go without it and try AF-S too!

Paul Lagasi
04-06-2008, 01:23 PM
Both of the test shots were taken using VR in normal mode on tripod, because I also heard and read that we can use lens with VR on, the only difference is left AF-S, right AF-C. VR only starts when shutter button is depressed. In anser to below thread..usually let it rip....But I will try same test...giving the VR a chance to settle down...thanks

Robert O'Toole
04-06-2008, 10:05 PM
Both of the test shots were taken using VR in normal mode on tripod, because I also heard and read that we can use lens with VR on, the only difference is left AF-S, right AF-C. VR only starts when ahutter button is
depressed.

Hi Paul, not sure if the above was an answer to my quesion, its hard to tell without the quote, but this was not what I asked. Big thanks for sharing the info BTW.
What I wanted to know is did you activate VR for some time to let the VR 'settle down' or did you just depress the shutter and let it rip?
When I use VR I always try to AF lock on and VR way before I want to make an image, otherwise the VR sometimes can vibrate and shake, then settle down after a second or 2. Canon IS sometimes does the same thing so I dont think it is a malfunction, just a side effect.

Robert

Doug Campbell
04-07-2008, 08:15 PM
Hi Paul, not sure if the above was an answer to my quesion, its hard to tell without the quote, but this was not what I asked. Big thanks for sharing the info BTW.
What I wanted to know is did you activate VR for some time to let the VR 'settle down' or did you just depress the shutter and let it rip?
When I use VR I always try to AF lock on and VR way before I want to make an image, otherwise the VR sometimes can vibrate and shake, then settle down after a second or 2. Canon IS sometimes does the same thing so I dont think it is a malfunction, just a side effect.

Robert

Robert,

Could you elaborate more on this "When I use VR I always try to AF lock on and VR way before I want to make an image, otherwise the VR sometimes can vibrate and shake, then settle down after a second or 2."?

Robert O'Toole
04-09-2008, 12:24 AM
Hi Doug,

Sorry for the unclear sentence. I should have explained in more detail.

In the field I make it a point to start IS or VR and AF lock on a subject before I want to trigger the shutter. Sometimes, more so when cold it seems, IS or VR can jump or shake when it is activated. So I try to make sure I start IS early before I actually want to trigger the shutter.

This is important if you use Back button AF (*), or AF on with Canon and AF on with Nikon, since in both cases, the front shutter button activates IS, not the AF button. With normal front button AF, IS or VR will activate when AF activates.

Hope this makes more sense.

Robert

Doug Campbell
04-09-2008, 07:23 AM
I think so. I don't have a VR lens yet as I haven't saved quite enough for a 200-400 but it won't be long!

Thanks!

Robert O'Toole
04-09-2008, 06:36 PM
I think so. I don't have a VR lens yet as I haven't saved quite enough for a 200-400 but it won't be long!

Thanks!

Great to hear Doug, you will really like it I am sure, I love my 2-4. The flexibility is great and the sharpness is excellent.

Let me know if you have problems finding one and I can give some ideas and referrals. Sometimes I hear they are hard to find.

Robert

Doug Campbell
04-09-2008, 11:56 PM
Thanks, I'm waiting for my tax "rebate" which should put me over the top money-wise.

Alfred Forns
04-13-2008, 06:26 PM
Hi Robert Tried this morning shooting with tripod locked down tight and holding camera/lens tight vs leaving it loose

Here is a post for maximum tightness all the ones which I tried keeping it loose are in the garbage
This was made at f 4.0 1/25sec ISO 1600 with the D3 Before sunrise at plus 1 1/3

No idea why the recommendation would be best to try and take your best?

btw this was with the 600 and VR on !!!

Robert O'Toole
04-13-2008, 06:48 PM
Hi Alfred,

Let me try tomorrow with my 2-4, VR on and off.

I think the 600 has newer and better VR than my 2-4.

Robert