PDA

View Full Version : Ring Neck Duck

James Fuller
12-03-2011, 05:27 PM
Thought this one had nice colors and I liked the wave and structural color on his head.

Canon 1D IV, 800mm + 1.4x converter. ISO 640, Fill Flash at -2 with better beamer.

dankearl
12-03-2011, 05:42 PM
A really great angle and close-up.
The water is very nice, maybe tone down a little of the flash effect on the head.
A cool shot though, well done.

Jonathan Ashton
12-03-2011, 05:42 PM
Good timing but for me it looks like flash has been used, I am surprised in view of the fact you used it was subtle at -2 - maybe the feathers were wet and the light reflected more strongly than would have otherwise been the case??

Randy Stout
12-03-2011, 05:45 PM
James:

Nice low angle, sharp, interesting variety in the water colors.

I like the idea of the bow wake, but which I could see a bit more of the birds body.

I use fill flash a lot, and think it really helps pull out the various colors and sheens. Perhaps just a sliver less fill here though, a little too shiny for my taste on the crow and area behind the eye.

Cheers

Randy

PS: I must have been typing at the same time as Jonathan and Dan, sorry to repeat the flash bit.

Randy Stout
12-03-2011, 05:51 PM
James:

Here is a version with a luminosity layer run on the image, blend mode set to multiply, masked the entire image and then painted in just a bit of the multiply layer on the shiny parts of the head and bill. To my eye it knocks down the flashed look somewhat.

Just an option for you.

Cheers

Randy

James Fuller
12-03-2011, 06:31 PM
Thanks Randy, I've never messed with luminosity much in post procesing...looks like it is time I start. I'll have to give your suggestion a try.