PDA

View Full Version : Horned Grebe with Fish

Cheryl Arena Molennor
12-03-2011, 11:35 AM
Got this one on the way home from shooting I stopped by the Causeway in Tampa to see if I could see any Horned Grebes. I spotted a merganser and while shooting , up popped this little guy. As soon as he dove down I made my way across the rocks to get as close and low as possible. Exposure was tough but I love how the water came out so metallic. I did a recover on the whites as well as a burn NR and sharpening applied. 70% of the original
Camera Model Canon EOS-1D Mark III
Shooting Mode Aperture-Priority AE
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/1250
Av( Aperture Value ) 8.0
Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
ISO Speed 500
Lens EF300mm f/2.8L IS USM +2.0x HH

dankearl
12-03-2011, 11:43 AM
The water and wave behind it is really smooth and nice looking, and the bird looks
very nice. Removing some of the water specks would improve it to me.
The splash below the bill is nice, just a few too many speckles in the air above the bird.

Mike Landwehr
12-03-2011, 11:51 AM
Cheryl, all your efforts were well-rewarded. With your low position, the first thought I had when I saw the image was that the water droplets looked like stars in the sky, and the incoming wave reminded me of the Milky Way! I love the splash of water droplets, and the whites of the grebe against the deep blue background. The orange eye really pops. And the eel (or whatever) is a really big plus. On my monitor, the IQ on the head and neck look a touch weak, but that may just be the wet feathers. Overall, it's a wonderful capture.

Doug Brown
12-03-2011, 01:32 PM
<embed id="application/x-exifeverywhere" type="application/x-exifeverywhere" width="0" height="0">Nice action captured and a solid exposure. Love the splashing water droplets. I wish the head was angled slightly towards us, and I might go with a tighter crop.

Stu Bowie
12-03-2011, 02:35 PM
Hi Cheryl, well done on getting into a lower position for this, it works for me. The 'wave' behind the grebe reminds me of one of those waves in Hawaii just about to wipe out a surfer - in this the grebe. I dont mind the flying droplets, they stand out nicely against the wave, and his catch a bonus. If I would crop this tighter, it would only be a touch off the top and bottom.

Grace Scalzo
12-03-2011, 05:15 PM
Very dramatic image with the wave about to crash. Droplets, prey, nice eye. I like this alot, for me it is full of interest.

Jonathan Ashton
12-03-2011, 05:52 PM
I like the composition as it is, I would consider trying to lower the highlights on the bill and head a little more if possible.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
12-03-2011, 06:06 PM
Thanks everybody for the input your suggestions are always taken Into consideration

Marina Scarr
12-03-2011, 09:20 PM
I really like everything about this capture. The water droplets are very powerful in this image especially against the gorgeous blue background. The eye looks great and I love being able to see the catch. A little more of a head turn would have put this 1 totally over the top. Considering the time of day and the fact that you were hand holding this combination, I really don't think you could of asked for anything more.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
12-03-2011, 11:58 PM
I really like everything about this capture. The water droplets are very powerful in this image especially against the gorgeous blue background. The eye looks great and I love being able to see the catch. A little more of a head turn would have put this 1 totally over the top. Considering the time of day and the fact that you were hand holding this combination, I really don't think you could of asked for anything more.

Thanks so much Marina

Jim Crosswell
12-04-2011, 09:56 PM
Excellent image Cheryl! I like the splash, water drops and catch. I like Stuarts suggestion for a bit off the bottom and top.