PDA

View Full Version : Processing detail

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
12-02-2011, 04:30 PM
Greetings. So I was a bit frustrated trying to show detail in the straight shot while compressing to the jpeg and posting dimensions... So used some OOTB techniques to come up with this:

Processing includes Topaz Clean (stylize detail), Lab curves (several layers), Gaussian blur for bg, Topaz Detail, Topaz Denoise, smart sharpening. Most of the fine feather detail was helped along by Topaz Clean - stylize detail & would be smeared in a regular shot due to resolution reduction for jpeg.

Interested to hear what you think...

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,

-Michael-

Dennis Bishop
12-02-2011, 09:34 PM
Nice composition in terms of both the position of the bird and the pattern and orientation of the leaves. The Topaz Detail effect fits very well.

Jay Sheinfield
12-02-2011, 10:18 PM
Nice processing Michael. Great pose and eye contact. Not too fond of the background branch through the bird, but that's just my preference, you might well get different opinions on that.

denise ippolito
12-03-2011, 06:47 AM
Michael, Nice pose and the details really pop. I agree with Jay regarding the back branch. :S3:

Dennis Bishop
12-03-2011, 01:37 PM
. . . Not too fond of the background branch through the bird, but that's just my preference, you might well get different opinions on that.

The background branch really didn't bother me, at first. However, after viewing Jay and Denise's comments, I gave the stem and upper left leaf a strong treatment of Gaussian blur just to see. It did make a big difference.

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
12-04-2011, 10:04 AM
Dennis, Jay, Denise,

Thanks much for the comments. I agree about the bg branch. Thanks for pointing it out.

Cheers,

-Michael-