PDA

View Full Version : December Theme - Birds Bathing: Mallard

Jonathan Ashton
12-02-2011, 11:37 AM
Canon 50D Canon 500mm f4 L IS tripod, ISO 400 - 0.67, 1/1250 f 5.6
I took this shot at a local park whilst I was waiting for the November theme shot!
All C & C welcome.

Randy Stout
12-02-2011, 11:50 AM
Jonathan:

That is some serious splashing going on there. You managed to show good detail on the breast and face despite all the water flying about.

If you have more room on the right, I might add a bit, as that is the direction of the implied motion. but works as is.

I would consider a version about 1/3 stop brighter, as I find it a bit dark as posted.

Cheers

Randy

Jonathan Ashton
12-02-2011, 12:04 PM
Jonathan:

That is some serious splashing going on there. You managed to show good detail on the breast and face despite all the water flying about.

If you have more room on the right, I might add a bit, as that is the direction of the implied motion. but works as is.

I would consider a version about 1/3 stop brighter, as I find it a bit dark as posted.

Cheers

Randy

I agree Randy - this a bit better? I increase exposure and added canvas top and right and filled using content aware, selecting as big an area as I could to avoid distortion.

Randy Stout
12-02-2011, 12:42 PM
Jonathan:
I like the increased exposure. The framing looks the same to me. I did a quick measurement and couldn't see enough difference to measure. Did the right version get posted?

Cheers

Randy

Cheryl Arena Molennor
12-02-2011, 06:00 PM
Nice action good and sharp. I'm with Randy on the crop

Jonathan Ashton
12-02-2011, 06:02 PM
Randy - sorry I have posted the second image (it is clearly labelled as such) but I too cannot see an increase in canvas size either. I don't know what I have done!! - Never mind I will leave it now, I have already had two bites at the cherry.

Dan Busby
12-02-2011, 07:38 PM
Jonathan - good that you caught the good detail on the bird as well as lots of water flying. I like the brighter version. I am ok with the sort of quirky comp as is - the leaning bird creates a bit of tension that keeps me there.

dankearl
12-02-2011, 08:22 PM
I like it.
The sharpness on the bird looks great through all the water.
Nice action and exposure.