PDA

View Full Version : Brown Treecreeper (Climacteris picumnus) Willie Retreat NSW

Rod Warnock
12-01-2011, 07:22 PM
Brown Treecreeper (Climacteris picumnus) Willie Retreat NSW
Canon EOS 40D Lens 100-400mm L IS USM at 400 mm ISO 800 F8.0 1/1250sec no flash 8 May 2010
Willie Retreat is an ideal spot in far western New SouthWales to be used as a base for the Macquarie Marshes for waterbirds plus you will be able to see birds of the dry interior not only at Willie Retreat, but also the Travelling Stock Reserves are great birding areas. A range of accommodation is available from tent sites, caravan sites, cabins and also for larger groups you will need to stock up on food items as Warren 80klms away is the nearest town.
The Brown Treecreeper is wide ranging and occupies approximately the eastern third of Australia from Cape York in Queensland through to most of New South Wales, Victoria and the eastern ares of South Australia. The species habitat dryer forested areas and also along creeks and rivers. Nests are in tree and stump hollows.There are five other Treecreepers in Australia of these three occur in areas where you find the Brown Treecreeper. These are the White-throated, Red-browed and White-browed Treecreepers.
Thanks for viewing
Best regards
Rod Warnock

Linda Dulak
12-02-2011, 08:29 AM
Rod: Nice bird, sharp and with a great pose. I like the contrast of the pattern in the bird's feathers with the tree pattern but the tree is a bit too bright. If this were mine I'd try to tone down the tree so it doesn't compete so much with the bird.

Linda

Daniel Cadieux
12-02-2011, 12:26 PM
Neat pose, I especially like the top foot's gentle grip on the tree. Ditto Linda about the tree's brightness though, I would definitely tone it down. Interesting BG, but I wish the extra leaf in extreme ULC was not there.

Thanks for the info on Australia's treecreeper family...

Roger Clark
12-03-2011, 08:45 PM
Hello Rod,

I really like this image. The detail and pose of the bird are outstanding, as is the angle of light (the phase angle), which provides the micro shading on the bird's feathers making the wonderful fine detail. I do agree with the comments above, however that the tree is a little overpowering. A reduction in the tree brightness would really help. I also find the brighter parts of the background a little distracting and I would reduce the background intensity a little too.

Roger