PDA

View Full Version : 7D Battery Error Message

Cal Walters
12-01-2011, 06:12 PM
I was out shooting this afternoon and after about 20 shots the trigger became non-responsive. In looking at the screen, there was a white X in a small red circle with ERR and a message to turn the camera off and back on or to try removing the battery. This same error repeated itself several times. I have since taken the battery from the camera as a precaution. Does anyone know what causes this - camera or battery error. I'm assuming I should replace the battery as well - which is frustrating because the Canon backup battery I bought was defective and had to be returned.

Tom Rambaut
12-01-2011, 06:38 PM
I was out shooting this afternoon and after about 20 shots the trigger became non-responsive. In looking at the screen, there was a white X in a small red circle with ERR and a message to turn the camera off and back on or to try removing the battery. This same error repeated itself several times. I have since taken the battery from the camera as a precaution. Does anyone know what causes this - camera or battery error. I'm assuming I should replace the battery as well - which is frustrating because the Canon backup battery I bought was defective and had to be returned.

Cal this was covered in a recent tread. I had exactly the same issue and it turned out to be a shutter issue. The battery message is a default message that pops up if the camera does not know what the problem is. I my case nothing was wrong with the batteries.

Thread is on second page about half way down. maybe a mod could join this to this thread if this is possible?

Larry Handal
12-03-2011, 11:17 PM
On my recent trip to Alaska my 7d mysteriously would not fire giving me odd battery Err messages. Finally in desperation after a couple of days I thought about taking out and reinserting the CF card and it has worked perfectly since.
Im thinking that since I have the camera set to NOT fire without card in place that during my trip the card had worked its way off some of the pins and was enough to disable the camera.

Rich Steel
12-05-2011, 06:32 PM
Same happened to me while on holiday in Mallorca. Ended up sending it back to Canon

Cal Walters
12-08-2011, 11:38 PM
On my recent trip to Alaska my 7d mysteriously would not fire giving me odd battery Err messages. Finally in desperation after a couple of days I thought about taking out and reinserting the CF card and it has worked perfectly since.
Im thinking that since I have the camera set to NOT fire without card in place that during my trip the card had worked its way off some of the pins and was enough to disable the camera.

Larry, interesting theory. I went back out the next day and had significantly fewer episodes. I usually take out the card after a shoot (using a card reader) so I may have stumbled into the same solution.

Thanks.