PDA

View Full Version : Pink Blue in the East at White Sands

Arthur Morris
12-01-2011, 11:05 AM
Yuccas at sunset, White Sands National Monument on Robert O'Toole's workshop. With the tripod-mounted Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS lens (at 80mm) and the EOS-1D Mark IV. ISO 200. Evaluative metering +1 2/3 stops: 1 sec. at f/16. Vastly improved in Nik's Color Efex Pro 4.1.

On dead-clear days when sunset color in the west is pretty much nil turn around and look to the east to enjoy the pink blue skies that brighten after sunset.

Click here (http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/2011/11/28/all-my-lifes-a-circle/) to see a cool circle yucca and scroll down here (http://www.birdsasart.com/2011/11/30/birds-as-art-bulletin-390/) to learn more about Nik's Color Efex.

Don't be shy; all comments welcome.

Dennis Bishop
12-01-2011, 11:20 AM
Really nice. The colors are great, and the transition from pink to blue occurs at just the right place from the standpoint of composition. I like the added feeling of depth from the hills in the background. Very nice perspective using the yuccas, too. I like the way they stand out from the background.

Arthur Morris
12-01-2011, 11:23 AM
Thank you sir. It is a beautiful place but was a bit less beautiful than usual as a big rain storm left the dunes like pock-marked cement. I am in ABQ right now heading back to Orlando; a huge wind storm that has already started in southern NM should rectify that!

Roger Clark
12-01-2011, 06:35 PM
Artie.

Nice image, colors and composition. Did you know that the blue is the shadow of the earth projected into the sky from the setting sun? The pink is light that is transmitted through the atmosphere. The blue (shadow) rises as the sun sets (and goes the other way at sunrise).

Roger

Arthur Morris
12-01-2011, 07:16 PM
Artie. Nice image, colors and composition. Did you know that the blue is the shadow of the earth projected into the sky from the setting sun? The pink is light that is transmitted through the atmosphere. The blue (shadow) rises as the sun sets (and goes the other way at sunrise). Roger

Yes, but thanks for reminding me :S3:.

Steve Maxson
12-02-2011, 11:04 AM
Hi Artie. I love the subtle pastels in the sky and even in the sand. I think Dennis has nailed the critique so I won't repeat. This is very nicely done! :S3:

OvidiuCavasdan
12-02-2011, 01:57 PM
Awesome colors and very nice composition and perspective.
Did you shoot one with a bird on top of yuccas?:w3

Allen Sparks
12-02-2011, 03:54 PM
Nicely done! Love the transitioning of colors as stated above.

Arthur Morris
12-02-2011, 07:03 PM
Awesome colors and very nice composition and perspective.
Did you shoot one with a bird on top of yuccas?:w3

Thanks Ovidiu and all. I wish. There are very, very few birds in the dunes and they run around like mice!

Julie Kenward
12-03-2011, 01:09 PM
Really a beautiful image, Artie. I wouldn't mind seeing a tiny sliver more on the right side to even out the plant-to-frame-edge ratio at both ends but...no biggie.

Another thing I noticed was the pink of the sand in the FG - I wondered how it would affect the image with less color cast there so I pulled back on the reds in the sand and lightened it just a bit. I don't necessarily think it made the image better - just a subtle difference - you might try it and see if you like it that way.

I am also a gigantic fan of Color Efex Pro 4 and use it now on almost every image I process. That and Viveza are my "go to" plug ins.

Arthur Morris
12-03-2011, 01:52 PM
Really a beautiful image, Artie. I wouldn't mind seeing a tiny sliver more on the right side to even out the plant-to-frame-edge ratio at both ends but...no biggie.

Another thing I noticed was the pink of the sand in the FG - I wondered how it would affect the image with less color cast there so I pulled back on the reds in the sand and lightened it just a bit. I don't necessarily think it made the image better - just a subtle difference - you might try it and see if you like it that way.

I am also a gigantic fan of Color Efex Pro 4 and use it now on almost every image I process. That and Viveza are my "go to" plug ins.

Thanks Julie. I am confused :e3 by your "sliver more on the right" comment as there is already a bit more space on the right than on the left.... Please explain :S3:. Would love to see a repost with the less pink sand. I am trying to figger out those darned control points....

Julie Kenward
12-03-2011, 02:27 PM
Sorry Artie...I guess I didn't scroll far enough to the right. (Gotta get a widescreen monitor one of these days!)

Here's the repost with the cooler-toned sand. I used Viveza to adjust the hue, warmth, saturation and shadows just a tiny bit in each case.

Arthur Morris
12-03-2011, 04:18 PM
Thanks Julie. It is hard to see the difference without an animated GIF :).

Jerry van Dijk
12-03-2011, 04:52 PM
Hi Arthur, awesome colors and great light on the yuccas. I think a version from a lower angle eliminating the mountains from the BG could add to the out of this world feel of this image.

Arthur Morris
12-03-2011, 06:05 PM
Hi Arthur, awesome colors and great light on the yuccas. I think a version from a lower angle eliminating the mountains from the BG could add to the out of this world feel of this image.

Thanks Jerry. Though I chose my perspective carefully I would have to agree with you; wish that I had created a version as you suggested. Next year!

Galliani Carlo
12-09-2011, 04:55 AM
beatiful colours and very nice compo