PDA

View Full Version : Cathedral Hallway

Jay Sheinfield
11-30-2011, 11:33 PM
I used a 5-stitch HDR to process this image. Each image +1/-1 ev. NIK HDR Effex. I evicted a table from LLC. I did the best I could to straighten the lines and columns, with Transform/Lens Correction.

Nikon D3s
32mm
f/22
tripod ISO 200

Comments welcome...........

Jay Sheinfield
12-01-2011, 09:26 AM
I have to admit to struggling over the lighting in this one. So I though I'd post an afterthought image to see what kind of feedback that gets.....thanks for your patience.

Roman Kurywczak
12-01-2011, 10:06 AM
Hey Jay,
In this case, I think I prefer the OP for the tones. Debating the RH column. 1/2 step left to keep entire circle with similar comp may have done the trick.....but don't kow what was there! See my response to your earlier post on the # of images for HDR.....this may help in theh future. I still think this is very nice done!

Jay Sheinfield
12-01-2011, 10:16 AM
Hey Roman, Thanks. In this one, I did step to the left but clipped the window in the hallway, maybe the wrong choice? Now that you mention it the right column does distract a bit............

Jerry van Dijk
12-03-2011, 05:06 PM
Hi Jay, very pleasing image with strong compositional elements. Funny thing is that I would go the opposite direction than your repost. Darkening the FG (at least the vertical columns, maybe also the floor) would create more sense of depth with the light hallway in the BG.

Jay Sheinfield
12-03-2011, 07:54 PM
Hi Jay, very pleasing image with strong compositional elements. Funny thing is that I would go the opposite direction than your repost. Darkening the FG (at least the vertical columns, maybe also the floor) would create more sense of depth with the light hallway in the BG.

Jerry, Thanks. Something I hadn't considered. I'll give a try. Good idea!

Morkel Erasmus
12-06-2011, 04:52 PM
Jay, I like your composition and treatment of the details here through HDR. I think both your posts lack some "oomph", particularly due to an overtly grey tonal palette.

In this repost I burned the shadows (4%), dodged the highlights (4%) and added some midtone contrast. Let me know what you think?

Jay Sheinfield
12-06-2011, 06:32 PM
Morkel, First off, thanks plenty for taking the time to do a posting example of your suggestions. I like it a lot. I have struggled over how to present these HDR wide tonal range images, especially when it comes to brights and shadows. There is no lack of opinions, it seems. You have achieved a richer luminosity than my postings, so I will give the next few images a try with more"oomph".:S3::S3: Thanks again.

Andrew McLachlan
12-09-2011, 06:07 PM
HI Jay, I really like the vertical comp here. I like Morkel's repost the best. Nice capture!