PDA

View Full Version : CS5 Quick Mask Brush Opacity

Ed Cordes
11-30-2011, 11:20 PM
I have just started using CS5. When I do a quick mask and select the bursh it seems like the brush is only acting like it is set to about 50% opacity. However, both the opacity and flow of the brush are set to 100%. What did I set wrong?

Charles Glatzer
12-01-2011, 07:44 PM
You can see through the red rubilith mask over the image even when the brush opacity is set to 100%.

Chas

Ed Cordes
12-01-2011, 09:10 PM
You can see through the red rubilith mask over the image even when the brush opacity is set to 100%.

Chas

Yup, that is exactly what is occurring. Funny thing is it worked in the usual manner earlier in the day so I think I clicked on something to screw it up but can't seem to find out what. This only seems to happen in Quick Mask Mode. When I use standard burshes for other thing it is business as usual.

Ed Cordes
12-01-2011, 11:24 PM
To better explain what is happening I guess I could say that I don't care what opacity the red color looks like. The problem is with the selection itself when moved to another area in the image appears to be only 50% density. The layer does not cover and mask the entire image underneath as it should. Does this make sense??

Charles Glatzer
12-02-2011, 11:52 AM
Ed,

Your explanation makes sense, but the result does not.
If the brush is set to 100% opacity, and your new layer opacity is set to 100%, with normal blend mode used all should be well.

If you altered the blend mode with Soft Light the effect will be render as you mention!!!!

Chas

Ed Cordes
12-02-2011, 06:22 PM
Thanks Charles. I, at first thought the issue was the brush opacity, but I now have learned after some research that the problem was that after making a quick mask, inverting and creating a layer mask so I could move it for "cloning" the layer mask was only at 50% regardless of how the sliders were set in the layers box.

I solved the problem by doing the following:

I went to c/users/name/appdata/roaming/cs5 and removed the Adobe Photo shop CS5 Settings file. This eliminated any weird buttons I may have pushed and allowed PS to reestablish its default settings. I then reset my preferences and all is well with the world.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Steve Kaluski
12-04-2011, 10:06 AM
Ed, although you have resolved the issue, but...

When you go Edit > Fill, was the blending box set to 50%? Just a thought, however good to know you resolved the issue. :w3

Steve