PDA

View Full Version : Hamerkop

Stu Bowie
11-30-2011, 10:47 PM
This my first decent image of a Hamerkop. His head is just tucked in a little too much to show off the whole shape of why they are called Hamerkop's. To capture this shot, I was leaning through my car, aiming out my passenger window, and into a riverbed below me. Not always easy, and making sure you dont get the window frame in your viewfinder. Taken in the Kruger National Park, late October in the late afternoon.

Canon 50D
100-400 @ 260mm
1/1250
F/6.3
ISO 400

Exp Comp 0
Hand held as described above.

Tom Rambaut
11-30-2011, 11:48 PM
Is this a young bird? I thought they are a grey bird. A species I would like to see in the wild.

Ken Watkins
12-01-2011, 12:55 AM
Stuart,

This is very nice, it is always difficult to get these right, stands out very well from the BG.

I do not know about you but I have rarely seen them with a raised crest.

Stu Bowie
12-01-2011, 01:38 AM
Is this a young bird? I thought they are a grey bird.

Thanks Tom. This is an adult and they are brown as shown in the image. I cant think of a grey bird similar to this that you may be confused with.

Ken, thanks for your kind words.

Tom Rambaut
12-01-2011, 03:10 AM
Thanks Tom. This is an adult and they are brown as shown in the image. I cant think of a grey bird similar to this that you may be confused with.

Ken, thanks for your kind words.

Sorry Stuart - I got confused with the African shoebill.

PRABIR BHATTACHARYYA
12-01-2011, 06:30 AM
Stuart, it looks very good against the BG. I am so fond of this beautiful color one gets in Africa in this season!
You have even managed to get a catch light in the eye!
Thanks for sharing.

Dumay de Boulle
12-01-2011, 09:53 AM
Very nice IQ and great colors...I think Tom is thinking of the 'Shoebill'

Sachin Saraf
12-01-2011, 10:09 AM
Wow!! what a beautiful bird! wonderful exposure and details...TFS

Randy Stout
12-01-2011, 10:47 AM
Stuart:

Lots of character with this guy. I like the striding pose, catchlight, feather detail.

The sand gives some nice texture and compatible colors, but I have to say it makes the image look a bit grainy (sorry, I couldn't resist :t3)

Cheers

Randy

Daniel Cadieux
12-01-2011, 12:32 PM
Cool! Not sure if the image is a tad dark, but I like it alot. Nic eclean sand and walking pose. I'd have preferred a lower angle, but realize you were in your vehicle.

Not sure if it is the result of post-processing or not, but there is small doubled repeating pattern directly in front of the bill tip that I would fix regardless how it got there...

Stu Bowie
12-01-2011, 01:37 PM
there is small doubled repeating pattern directly in front of the bill tip that I would fix regardless how it got there...

Thanks Dan. Yep removed a small dark patch in the sand. I cant believe I doubled up on such a small area. That will keep me on my toes. I appreciate your input - thanks.

Randy - good pun.

Thanks to everyone else for your feedback. Always appreciated.