PDA

View Full Version : Locating good public bird blinds.

Ronald Zigler
11-30-2011, 02:05 PM
Would anyone know of a resource that identifies good, public bird blinds for photographers? Ideally, this resource would identify these publicly accessible bird blinds by state. I frequent a decent blind not far from where I live in Pennsylvania, but I would like to find others.

Chris Brennan
12-05-2011, 08:07 AM
Hi Ron -

While I do not know of any resource which lists places with bird blind, I'll suggest looking for local nature centers. I live outside of Philadelphia in Bucks county, and there are a half a dozen nature centers within resonable driving distance that have bird blinds. Some are more sophisticated than others, with water features but most feature a wide assortment of feeders... I understand, although I've never been, that there's a nice bird blind at Wildwood Park, just outside of Harrisburg.

Ronald Zigler
12-05-2011, 09:18 PM
Thanks for the suggestion Chris. I live about 20 minutes from the Peace Valley Park in Bucks County and frequent that nature center and surrounding area somewhat regularly.

Don Nelson
12-06-2011, 01:38 AM
What is needed is not just the existance of a blind, but the quality of the placement, birds nominally expected, quality of the blind(amenities like- how many ports, how many it seats comfortably, and other factors. I've been in some blinds that stank worse than an outhouse; I've been to blinds where you'd need waders to go down into the flooded hole (sunken blinds - seemed like a good idea to the refuge in (dry) summer when built, but with water at nearly the same level in winter you can guess you'd need a sump pump to keep them dry....not provided); I've been in blinds that were cramped for 1, blinds that could seat a small class, and blinds that were miles from any good birds...etc ).

Even worse - in blinds that are off stub end trails that are frequented by birders and others. Even with reservation system and signage, they're frequently dropping in to take a peek and "check it out" (guess they're special...). Too bad it scares the critters away each time they come to the blind and chit-chat.

Some of the NWR blinds are really variable, but you can search the refuges to see if they have blinds and what the policies are.

We're actively working with a local NWR manager to see if we can get a blind relocated to a place where the birds are. One good site is right next to an active hunting area (private) so that's a no-go....

Good luck!

Maybe we can post blinds in the geographic sections at the end of this forum listing?

Ronald Zigler
12-06-2011, 09:58 AM
I think that is a great idea--an index of good bird blinds for each state or geographic region. I have seen at least one awful (swampy) bird blind as well as bird blinds that were not well-located.

Ian Cassell
12-06-2011, 10:59 AM
I don't know about blinds, per se, but you might google the local Audubon Society websites for suggestions. I don't usually shoot at blinds, but frequently have success at places that the Audubon Society tells me are good birding sites.

KurtWecker
12-09-2011, 06:15 AM
Would anyone know of a resource that identifies good, public bird blinds for photographers? Ideally, this resource would identify these publicly accessible bird blinds by state. I frequent a decent blind not far from where I live in Pennsylvania, but I would like to find others.

Hi Ronald..

I'm at Peace Valley every weekend... There is a blind there and thats the only one in our neck of the woods. I have been a nature / wildlife photographer for a long time and I make my own blind. I bought a sheet of camo netting and cover myself, tripod and chair. Works great..

If you find any good spots let me know, I'm always looking..

Kurt

Chris Brennan
12-09-2011, 08:17 AM
You might consider putting this query on the international birding site: www.birdforum.com While it appears that many of the members are from the UK, there are a fair amount of US readers and this seems to be a good topic to post there. There are also state-bystate subforums which might be helpful.

Melissa Groo
12-10-2011, 12:50 PM
Folks might want to know about this resource I found online recently: A GUIDE TO WILDLIFE VIEWING AND PHOTOGRAPHY BLINDS
This was published by the Virginia Dept of Game and Fisheries, looks like at least a couple years old.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&ved=0CEsQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dgif.virginia.gov%2Fwildlifew atching%2FUS-Viewing-Blinds-Publication-Low-Res.pdf&ei=4pbjTriyO-Hx0gGY0piOBg&usg=AFQjCNHpHWXM3Hev73g0TRVnmYei6iTBaw&sig2=uRKgWjxfsqu3lhCkXH8cug

Cal Walters
12-10-2011, 07:53 PM
Great question. There was a recent article in Bird Watching Magazine on ranches in Texas. It was very helpful with sources and descriptions. I replied to them in a survey it was one of the better articles and they should do more. These were all pay locations, not too dissimilar to checking out the S.E. AZ birding trail guides, but covered a number of locations.