PDA

View Full Version : 2 cubs playing

Stan Cunningham
11-29-2011, 08:20 PM
I have a series of 5 good shots of these guys rolling around playing late one evening and I think this is my favorite.
I like the colors, and especially the one looking straight at me with the one eye in good focus. I do wish we could see more of the cub on her back, so perhaps I should look at the others more.
Canon 5D Mk II, 500 F4 ISO 640 F7.1 at 1/1250 sec.
LR and CS 5, curves, levels, usm a few times, nothing special but curves brought out the colors/contrast well. Just a touch of Sat = +5

Comments always appreciated.

Marc Mol
11-29-2011, 10:08 PM
It's not easy to tell there is a third cub here Stan, so another image would be appreciated.:bg3:
Not to say I don't like this one, love the colours and mischievous look he's giving you, seeing some more of the darker one would also enhance this great playful scene.
TFS

Jess Lee
11-29-2011, 10:53 PM
I think I know these guys!
Very nice light and color. It would be good to see the face if not the eyes of the other cu I know how tough that can be ;)

Stan Cunningham
11-29-2011, 11:37 PM
I'm sure you do know them Jess!
Either of them charge you the way they did me a couple times?
I know it's not a contest winner, just a "cute" photo and wanted to get some feedback on it.
I've been asked to provide 12 to 14 cub shots to a printer for a calendar so want to make sure I get some pro's feedback.
Which I always get some good feedback here, coming to AZ soon?

Marc, there is not a third cub, I was just pointing out that the face of the cub on his back was hidden and it was too bad.

Dumay de Boulle
11-30-2011, 12:13 AM
Beautiful image...The detail and light are great. Enjoy the contrast between the subjects and the green grass. Maybe just a bit more space on the right!

Ken Watkins
11-30-2011, 01:25 AM
Stan,

A marvelous capture with great detail sharpness and colour.

I am left wondering what it may have looked like without the other cub?

IMHO it could do with a little more space on each side.

Harshad Barve
11-30-2011, 02:15 AM
Excellent image on all counts
TFS

Robert Amoruso
11-30-2011, 07:11 AM
I would agree that more room is needed on the left and right sides. Image feels constrained. I do like the eye.

Steve Kaluski
11-30-2011, 02:28 PM
Hi Stan, bear cubs are great fun and this does portray the playfulness of little characters.

As you say, perhaps having more of the bear on it's back would certainly be good, however I think the viewer can easily see what is happening with the outstretch paws. The head angle of the main bear conveys a strong eye with the viewer, but I feel because it is so strong it does highlight the right eye (as viewed) which has no white to define it, and so as a result you need to perhaps look at it a little harder. Nothing you can do, just an observation. Good detail overall and as Dumay said, the vegetation colour works nicely and contrasts well agains the colours of the cubs. Not sure if you were shooting from a vehicle or not here Stan, but something like this would have been great if you had a lower POV, even having some OOF grass in the FG as if you were right in the grass there with them would have taken this to the next level, especially with some more space either side.

TFS
Steve

Rachel Hollander
11-30-2011, 07:24 PM
Stan - love the juxtaposition of the two colors here and the vibrant bg. Agree on more room on the side. There's a spot or artifact in the bg that doesn't look right - straight up from the claws of the dark cub's raised paw and almost even with the back of the blonde cub.

TFS,
Rachel