PDA

View Full Version : Prayer Flags

Nancy Bell
11-29-2011, 05:27 PM
The Buddahists use these strings of prayer flags to send their prayers to the heavens. As I understand, as the flags fade and tear the prayers reach higher and once the flags are completely faded the prayers have been totally sent. These flags must be fairly new as the colors are still vibrant, and as I stood quietly under them I could feel the peace and hope that flutters in the winds. Photographed in Bhutan, Nov 2011.

I used a bit of Fractalius Glow 50.

After a fall season of travel I'm back home with plenty of images to process :S3:.

Maureen Allen
11-29-2011, 07:04 PM
Really nice, Nancy. I like the way you used fract here to emphasize movement of the flags and the prayers. I can feel that peace and hope when I look at the image :S3: If this were mine, I might soften the effect on the lower edges of the green flag on the right.

Dennis Bishop
11-29-2011, 07:07 PM
Fractalius added some interesting effects to these flags. It really added to the sense of movement of the white one on the left side of the image. Especially for the red ones in the center, it accentuated what appears to be some tearing. Thanks for sharing the story behind the flags.

Steve Adkins
11-29-2011, 07:09 PM
Great story and image, Nancy. The frac nicely emphasizes the flutter and fraying of the flags. :S3:

denise ippolito
11-30-2011, 07:15 AM
Nancy, Great to have you back. I love this one and the way you chose to process it! The bold vibrant colors really make the glow stand out. Nicely done.:S3:

Cheryl Slechta
11-30-2011, 07:33 PM
Nancy, I love prayer flags and I think fractalius really emphasizes the frayed edges. I especially like the long wispy edge on the left. Do you know the significance of the middle string of flags - they are all one color. Most that I've seen have been multicolored like the two on either side.

Andrew McLachlan
11-30-2011, 08:21 PM
Hi Nancy, love the effect fractalius had on the prayer flags. Very nicely done!

Nancy Bell
12-01-2011, 08:19 AM
Thank you everyone. I don't know the significance of the colors. I should look that up. The flags are hung in windy places so the prayers rise faster and at some mountain passes the number of flags is just amazing.