PDA

View Full Version : Great Egret at Little Estero

David Kennedy
04-05-2008, 11:08 PM
Great Egret in breeding plumage at Little Estero lagoon, Ft. Myers, Fla.
Canon 1D II N, 400mm DO
Exposed 1/2500 sec. at f/5.6, ISO 250
Adjustments in Adobe Lightroom (not yet processed in Photoshop)

For photos where the bird's bill is angled towards the camera, I always try to make sure that the eyes are sharp (as in this example). However, should the bill "always" be in complete focus, even if it means stopping down to the point that the background transitions from smooth to distracting?

Arthur Morris
04-06-2008, 05:25 AM
COMP a bit awkward but certainly way sharp on the eye. I would rather see a smooth sweet BKGR than a sharper bill. BTW, the bill looks pretty sharp from here. Lastly, if you do want to stop down so that the dof covers the bill, getting lower will move effectively move the BKGR farther away and keep the BKGR soft and sweet.

later and love, artie

Axel Hildebrandt
04-06-2008, 06:37 AM
DOF and sharpness look good but I would give it more room at the top.

Maxis Gamez
04-06-2008, 07:13 AM
HI David,

I like the pose and the DOF looks good. I have to agree with Axel. You did well with the exposure and fill light.

David Kennedy
04-10-2008, 11:17 PM
Thank you, all! I agree that the composition could be a little better--I'll likely tinker with this image this weekend. The bill is not entirely sharp down the length (the tip of the bill is OOF), hence my concern, but I'm happy to find out that it's not as distracting as I thought it might turn out to be. I might very well add some more blue to the top of the frame. If I work it up I'll be sure to re-post.