PDA

View Full Version : Ruddy Turnstone

Bill Dix
11-29-2011, 10:23 AM
This is from Barnegat Lighthouse last February. The Harlequins and other usual suspects have begun to return to the jetty for the winter, so I'm eager to get back there. C&C appreciated.

D90, 500f4, ISO 500, 1/800s @ f/6.3, 0EV

dankearl
11-29-2011, 10:26 AM
Great FG, Bill, posed on the edge of the world, it appears!
Very attractive BG also and nice details and light.

Dumay de Boulle
11-29-2011, 10:42 AM
Lovely light, shooting angle and IQ...There seems to be a hot spot just under the where the dark chest feathers and wing meet that lacks detail. I would also like to see the back foot sharp...Do you have any standing still?

Bill Dix
11-29-2011, 11:09 AM
Lovely light, shooting angle and IQ...There seems to be a hot spot just under the where the dark chest feathers and wing meet that lacks detail. I would also like to see the back foot sharp...Do you have any standing still?

Thanks Dumay. The spot you noticed is not technically blown (~high 230s), but I probably could have coaxed just a little more detail there. I have another shot with the bird standing still, but not completely silhouetted against the water as this one is, so I didn't like it as much. I posted another frame in this series last February (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/80565-Ruddy-Turnstone?highlight=), with a raised foot, but that, too, had some blur. Personally, I rather liked the walking pose of this one and wasn't too bothered by the "dynamic" blur :w3, although I agree it would have been better if completely sharp.

Dumay de Boulle
11-29-2011, 11:19 AM
Prefer the leg position in the other one but prefer the eye on this one, looks like you left this one natural! I do like this image!

Bill Dix
11-29-2011, 11:31 AM
Prefer the leg position in the other one but prefer the eye on this one, looks like you left this one natural! I do like this image!

Thanks. I hadn't noticed the difference in the eyes. I did lighten the iris it the new one just a tad, but maybe not as much as the February post.

Kaustubh Deshpande
11-29-2011, 06:29 PM
Bill, very nice. Lots of details, nice clean BG, bird parallel, walking pose....liked it a lot. Very well composed as well.

Robert Holguin
11-29-2011, 11:20 PM
Excellent shot!! Love the walking pose, great background, and detail is superb.
Well done.

Wynand van Wyk
11-30-2011, 05:23 AM
A superb image captured here. I really like the lighting in the image and the colours.

Great detail too and very well exposed. Well done!:S3:

Mital Patel
11-30-2011, 11:04 AM
hey bill, this is excellent image. walking post is good .. wish to make a trip to nearby shoreline soon in week or two for them for new season .. just 400km drive :5

Bill Dix
11-30-2011, 08:52 PM
Thank you all for your comments.