PDA

View Full Version : Green Jay

Christopher Ciccone
11-29-2011, 08:12 AM
My first post here in the "Avian" forum after (hopefully) learning quite a bit in the "eager to learn" forum.:bg3:

From a recent trip to the Rio Grande Valley in southern Texas, photographed from a blind at Laguna Seca Ranch, late afternoon...
1dMkIII, 500mm, 1/500s, f/8.0, at iso800

Comments and especially constructive criticism is very much welcomed

Jonathan Ashton
11-29-2011, 08:49 AM
Beautiful exposure, gorgeous colours. Composition is a little tight for my taste. I am sure the image is well focussed and that it is sharp, but for want of a better expression it lacks a little bite, I am not sure if it has been sharpened optimally. That's just me, I may be wrong - let's see what other people have to say.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
11-29-2011, 09:02 AM
Beautiful image Christopher, nice and sharp grea tcolors and bg. My only suggestion would be to leave a tad more room left bottom feels a bit tight. Nice Job.

Melissa Groo
11-29-2011, 09:41 AM
Fantastic image, Christopher! So great to see you posting here! looks like your trip was very successful. Love the pose, colors, BG. Can't wait to see more!

Norm Dulak
11-29-2011, 09:52 AM
Congratulations, Chris, on your first post here. And a fine one it is.

The bird, the perch and the pose and the technical merits are all excellent. I really can't suggest a way to improve the image, although the background is a bit too homogeneous for my taste.

Very well done.

Dumay de Boulle
11-29-2011, 10:37 AM
Welcome and what a lovely image...Just a bit tight all around on the crop for my taste for my taste, otherwise all else looks pretty good!

Christopher Ciccone
11-29-2011, 12:27 PM
Thanks everyone for the kind compliments and especially the critiques. I definitely seem to have developed the habit of cropping a bit tight. (something I admit to have received as feedback on my "eager to learn" forum posts as well.) I will definitely go back and see about giving the bird a bit more breathing room! :e3

Gary Hamilton
11-29-2011, 01:42 PM
Beautiful job on this one Chris. As others have mentioned, a little more breathing room would help. I posted a very similar image a few months ago that was also taken at the Leguna Seca Ranch and with that same background color--I wouldn't be surprised if we made the images from the same set-up location on the ranch. What a great place for photography.

Kaustubh Deshpande
11-29-2011, 04:39 PM
What a bird. Nice shot...clean BG, great colors, excellent exposure, HA, DOF...well done.

Yes to more space. I see some noise...if you give more space around and then resize to this size, the noise will also go down.

Robert Holguin
11-29-2011, 11:26 PM
Wonderful shot!! Great looking bird. Sharp, nice pose and perch, I really like the background, and agree with a bit more room all around.
Well done.

Wynand van Wyk
11-30-2011, 05:03 AM
A wonderfully captured image! I like the detail, colours and background. Ditto on a bit more space around the bird, which would really add even more.

Well captured!:S3: