PDA

View Full Version : Into the Jungle

Ken Watkins
11-28-2011, 11:11 PM
Judging by the time on the EXIF this could be B2 leaving the road, but I am not sure, his two sons came along only a few minutes later. I am sure Harshad can recognise him.

Taken in Bandhavgargh 20th April 2011.

EOS 1D MkIII

70-200mm MkII at 190mm

F4.5, ISO 640, 1/320 (:2eyes2::2eyes2:)

Harshad Barve
11-28-2011, 11:27 PM
This is our beloved B2 indeed Ken and he turned away as his sons arrived
Lovely image , some tweaks may help
TFS

Stan Cunningham
11-28-2011, 11:30 PM
Beautiful light and a majestic animal.
Like the mud on him as well, makes it "real".
It would be nice if he had looked with those golden eyes but we can't have every thing. I might try to lighten them though, they are so striking on these animals.

Jamie Douglas
11-28-2011, 11:48 PM
Tigers are awesome beasts. My critique would be that the rock isn't closer to the tiger's raised paw.

Dumay de Boulle
11-28-2011, 11:50 PM
Quite a few tweaks needed on this one...The colors and textures are quite flat here. Needs more contrast and saturation also some USM on the tiger. Hard to get a good backlit image and this one is no exception.

Ken Watkins
11-29-2011, 01:15 AM
Jamie,
That is perhaps the " strangest" critique I have ever received:cheers::cheers:

Dumay,

I really like your approach to critiquing?

Marc Mol
11-29-2011, 02:01 AM
If I maybe so bold Ken:bg3:.
Tried some selective tonal contrast tweaking here, (no sharpening) giving it a bit more pop I feel, what do you think?
TFS

Ken Watkins
11-29-2011, 02:09 AM
Marc,

You can certainly can be more bold, I was just about to do it myself, as the JPEG conversion seems to lose everything from the TIFF, I am now thinking you almost have to reprocess the JPEG when there is a lot in the image.

I have started from the finished TIFF in this and boosted everything so that there is something left after downsizing and conversion.

Now looks a little too red.

Jay Gould
11-29-2011, 03:20 AM
Ken, your RP works wonders! TFS

Rachel Hollander
11-29-2011, 08:37 AM
Ken - interesting that to me B2 looks somewhat smaller in this image than in the others I've seen. Perhaps it's just because of the habitat. I prefer Marc's repost. He seems to have retained more detail and sharpness in the head area.

TFS,
Rachel

James Shadle
11-29-2011, 08:41 AM
Ken's repost looks better than the original and Marc's even better.
On Marc's repost the blacks are black while maintaining the rim lighting.

If we could all just use the same calibrated monitor.

Ken Watkins
11-29-2011, 08:50 AM
If we could all just use the same calibrated monitor.

I'll drink to that I have new one on order, you cannot just get them in the shops in SA, well at least not at a competitive price, roughly double what you would pay in US:2eyes2:

Dumay de Boulle
11-29-2011, 11:09 AM
Dumay,

I really like your approach to critiquing?[/QUOTE]

I like that, it ends with a question mark and not a exclamation mark... I like to hear more via PM:bg3:

This is more what I had in mind, contrast, saturation and USM

Gregor Bergquist
11-29-2011, 02:41 PM
I think the tiger looks better in this last post, but I also think the greens (leaves in bg etc) is too green now. So maybe tone just that down a little? Like the tiger and story around it.

Jamie Douglas
11-29-2011, 11:19 PM
[QUOTE=Ken Watkins;745661]Jamie,
That is perhaps the " strangest" critique I have ever received:cheers::cheers:

:cheers: Call it a tongue in cheek comment Ken. It is the British football blood in me linking the raised paw and rock to a foot and ball.

Dumay nailed it in the repost

Ken Watkins
11-30-2011, 12:46 AM
[QUOTE=Ken Watkins;745661]Jamie,

:cheers: Call it a tongue in cheek comment Ken. It is the British football blood in me linking the raised paw and rock to a foot and ball.

Dumay nailed it in the repost

Thanks Jamie, I think I understand now.

IMHO Dumay's repost is oversaturated, but each to his own, there have been many discussions on here regarding how RED tigers are