PDA

View Full Version : Tower 7 from the inside

Dennis Bishop
11-28-2011, 03:43 PM
This is a view from one of the many fire control towers that once dotted the eastern coast of the United States. They were built out of concern that enemy ships might threaten cities that could be accessed from the Atlantic Ocean and stretched from at least Virginia to Massachusetts. The few that I've seen -- and known as such -- are in Delaware. They're concrete cylinders, but there were also other shapes and materials. I don't think any are still used for their original intent, which was to watch for incoming ships and help guide the aim of heavy guns if the ships were fired upon. This one is at Cape Henlopen State Park in Lewes, Delaware. It's where the Delaware Bay feeds into the ocean. Before becoming a park, the site was once the home of Fort Miles, and its empty buildings and heavy guns are still there. When standing at the gun positions, there's not a clear view of the ocean or the bay, so it's easy to see why the towers were needed. At the level where the photo was taken, there is a ring of windows, some of which you can see in the image. The only other windows are on the entry level. Higher up, there is a large horizontal slit providing an uninterrupted view over a wide angle.

9-stop HDR
ISO 200, f/22, 16mm fisheye lens

Photomatix -- to get a good histogram
Topaz Simplify -- a preset based on BuzSim
Silver Efex -- Full Contrast & Structure with Luminosity blend mode
Color Efex -- Tonal Contrast, Sunlight, Pro Contrast
Color Efex -- Darken/Lighten Center with control points to locally lighten only the lightest tones
Yellow Photo Filter in Photoshop (because of the drab gray concrete color that remained)
gradient vignette

(Converting for the web darkened the image a bit compared to the psd version.)

Mitch Carucci
11-28-2011, 05:18 PM
Great composition. The sweep of the stairs seems to move the viewer. Lovely processing.

Andrew McLachlan
11-28-2011, 05:56 PM
Hi Dennis, very nice comp, I really like the way you positioned the staircase. I could also see this as a grunged HDR for an alternate version.

Mike Landwehr
11-28-2011, 06:43 PM
A beautiful image, Dennis. I love all the curved lines, and the way they are integrated in such a balanced composition. I also love the soft monotone look that you have created with the various shades of yellow and brown. It's such a unique perspective. And, I like the fact that the lighting at each of the small windows has been been so well balanced with the interior lighting.

Steve Adkins
11-28-2011, 09:25 PM
Another fun perspective, Dennis. Very well processed, great detail and the framing is perfect! :S3:

Cheryl Slechta
11-28-2011, 10:50 PM
Dennis, I love everything about this. I like the fact that you used a fisheye - I love the perspective. The monotones are a plus and I think the frame really compliments the image. Beautifully done:S3:

Indranil Sircar
11-28-2011, 11:18 PM
This is outstanding, Dennis. I like how thoughtfully you have composed this... fisheye really provided the perspective. Excellent use divine ratio and you almost have a golden spiral! simply awesome!

Judy Howle
11-28-2011, 11:54 PM
Excellent composition and processing - just perfect all around!

denise ippolito
11-29-2011, 07:43 AM
Dennis, I like this one very much. The glow from the windows is perfect and the composition is interesting the LRC gets a little choppy but I wouldn't want to change the balance of the windows or the curve of the stairs. Well done with the processing. I think the yellow photo filter added the right touch.:S3:

Maureen Allen
11-29-2011, 08:43 PM
I like this a lot, Dennis. It almost feels like you're spinning when you look at it. Very nicely done. :S3: